The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Knocking after Motor Mount Insert install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboATM

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Jacksonville, North_Carolina
I recently installed front and rear motor mount inserts...and im now hearing a knocking sound when i take off, or when I accelerate/let off the gas. It doesnt take much to make the noise.

I have triple checked every single bolt i touched in the install, all are tight. its not super loud, but hard enough to shake the rear view mirror when taking off.

anyone else have this problem, or have any idea what mite the knocking be?

Its the front mount. If you look at the sleeve in the motor mount then look at the bolt that goes through the sleeve you'll see it.

It's like a 3/8in + difference.

well damn...so all i should get a bigger bolt in there? is that really making a thud that loud...it sounds like the trans is popping out of gear...that loud. LOL

Yea, thats the only real way to get the factory mount to stop bouncing.

both hear and feel it...im pretty used to DSMs having odd sounds and such...but this is quite odd. Its loud enough to drive me nuts trying to track it down, but doesnt feel or seem to be an "issue"

i didnt use the washers in the front mount...you think this, along with the slight smaller bolt, be the issue? I didnt get the washers with my kit, i got it opened.

both hear and feel it...im pretty used to DSMs having odd sounds and such...but this is quite odd. Its loud enough to drive me nuts trying to track it down, but doesnt feel or seem to be an "issue"

i didnt use the washers in the front mount...you think this, along with the slight smaller bolt, be the issue? I didnt get the washers with my kit, i got it opened.

The washers are pretty crucial for the insert to work properly. If you have the front bolt torques properly than it will not move back and forth even though the bolt is smaller than the hole in the mount. You will have to drill out the holes in the mount bracket if you want to install a larger diameter bolt, you don't need it.

yea, i really dont think the bolt being a tad bit smaller is the issue, theres noway it is that loud.

i have gone over it 10 times, and think maybe it mite be the bolt right by the speed sensor...its REALLY hard to get to. im thinking i dont have it tight enough, but its damn tight. this is just the only idea i can think of.

I did notice, i can feel the motor rock a little bit, as the mounts arent 100% solid...the knock also hits after the motor is preloaded back...

im just going to literally take every single bolt out, and back in...maybe i did miss something, somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, mine did the same thing until I switched out the bolt with largest one that would fit.

Then solid as a rock.

Honestly, mine did the same thing until I switched out the bolt with largest one that would fit.

Then solid as a rock.

You can't just switch out the bolt, you have to drill out the holes in the front mount bracket to do that.

You can't just switch out the bolt, you have to drill out the holes in the front mount bracket to do that.

Im quite aware of that. I drilled it out then installed a new larger bolt/nut.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back