The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

KNOCK!!! Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
Ok so I've just installed a 3"MAF and MAFT v2.02 and I'm trying to get her dialed in as best I can. I set up the MAFT for 660's and used the idle knob to get the low fuel trim correct. I'm getting lots of knock starting from 4300rpm to 6500rpm in third gear with as many as 38 counts of knock!! I've also seen up to 43 counts at 3000 rpm just cruising? I'm not sure if I've updated my mods list but here goes the essentials:

Walboro 255
B&M FPR w/guage
FIC 660's
3" MAF and MAFT
FMIC
14B @18psi
Logger with MMCD

Now before the MAFT I was using a 2g and had it running very good with very little knock and the AFC Hi setting was around -10 to -12 across the board. With the MAFT I'm into the positive numbers between 5-14. My fuel trims are: Low 90-100, Mid 81.2, and High 81.2. Now my one friend says that below 100 on MMCD is lean and above 100 is rich. My other friend says it's the opposite way around. Which is right? I can post the logs later tonight when I'm off work if it will help any but I need to try to calm down this knock before I drive home tonight.

Thanks thats what I thought but my friends confused me. Now is it possible to get knock from to much fuel??

yea it is.dont tune for fuel trims alone,go for zero knock.add a bit on your wot knob or with that rpm if your tuning in rpm mode.and it sounds like your knock sensor is bad with so many counts.just add fuel and see if it helps.

I just replaced the knock sensor less than 5k miles ago so I don't think it would be bad already but I'll check. I didn't hook up the white RPM wire for the MAFT because I planned on tuning with the AFC. Would that have any effect on the MAF and MAFT? The car runs good and idles but the knock in upper RPM's makes me think I'm lean but my rich fuel trims confuse the crap out of me.

rpm wire doesnt matter,mine runs fine and isnt hooked up either.that is kinda confusing that your trims say rich but your knocking.i dont *think* that an ~%80 trim would cause rich knock,but i could be wrong.whats your 02 voltage reading?

At 2300rpm I had a steady 43 count for 5 seconds. The O2V reads 1 sec-.80v, 2 sec- .25v, 3 sec-.82v 4 sec-.58v, 5 sec-.35v? On a third gear pull I had 18 counts from 4600rpm to 6200 rpm with an O2V of .89v steady and forth gear I had 26 counts from 4400rpm to 6000rpm with an O2V of .89 steady as well. Fifth gear I had 32 counts at 4500 rpm with an O2V of .95. This was all straight through 3 gears.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back