The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Just installed flywheel and clutch have a problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsed123

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 28, 2009
Newnan, Georgia
Like the title states I just finished a flywheel and clutch install. My problem is when I try to turn it over it seems like the flywheel loosened and its making it wobble and hit the bellhousing but I'm not sure. I took the flywheel inspection cover off and the flywheel doesn't feel loose. I just went through hell getting the transmission and don't wanna have to drop it again unless I don't have a choice. Could it be a clutch engagement issue or any other ideas of what it could be?

Did you torque down your flywheel with loc-tite?? Then did you put the clutch disk sandwhiched in between the pressure plate and flywheel? Then torque those bolts to like 15. Also did you align the disk when you shoved your input shaft in (bolted up bell)..If you did all that Im not sure, TOB bearing maybe?

Did you torque down your flywheel with loc-tite?? Then did you put the clutch disk sandwhiched in between the pressure plate and flywheel? Then torque those bolts to like 15. Also did you align the disk when you shoved your input shaft in (bolted up bell)..If you did all that Im not sure, TOB bearing maybe?

Yeah I did torque them down to 100 ft. lbs. with red loc-tite. Yeah the clutch disk is sandwhiched in between the pressure plate and flywheel and are torqued to 20 ft. lbs. with red loc-tite as well. I used a clutch alignment tool to align the clutch disk and its a new oem throwout bearing.

did you use an OEM TOB? what clutch kit did you install, i know some of them come with TOB of questionable longevity and quality

ok nvm someone beat me to it -- hmm i know on my M3 i have what they call "Chatter" the lightweight flywheel will hit the clutch disk when revolving in neutral just so slightly causing a vibration -- usually happens on the M s if you put a lightweight flywheel and puck clutch in there but ive heard of it other places

Its a new oem throwout bearing and a slightly used act 2100 with a street disk and a act streetlite flywheel and I'm pretty sure the clutch disk is in right.

Quick suggestion.

Take your flywheel inspection cover off and fire up your car, see if it's making noise.

Quick suggestion.

Take your flywheel inspection cover off and fire up your car, see if it's making noise.

Yeah I have the flywheel cover off now from where I checked it earlier. I haven't actually started the car I would turn it over it would make that noise and I would stop before the car cranked.

What kind of weird noises? Is it possible you didn't install the flywheel onto the dowel align pin on the crank?

Did you torque the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts in a star/crisscross pattern? If it is wobbly like you say, if the previous user installed/uninstalled the pressure plate the wrong way he may have ruined the clutch. You're supposed to tighten or loosen the bolts going by half-turns in a star pattern.

Did you torque the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts in a star/crisscross pattern? If it is wobbly like you say, if the previous user installed/uninstalled the pressure plate the wrong way he may have ruined the clutch. You're supposed to tighten or loosen the bolts going by half-turns in a star pattern.

Excellent point.

A spring might have come loose from the clutch, ACT especially is/was notorious for that. Not sure if it's an issue anymore, just something to be aware of. Don't know if it would make that kind of noise anyway.

Another possibility is that you left the starter plate off. That 1/16" thick plate that goes between the block and the transmission. It spaces the two correctly, as well as keeping the starter away from the flywheel. My car didn't have one, and the flywheel ground some material off my starter before I figured out what the problem was.

That sound is probably what you're hearing, as both the bell housing and the part of the starter that the flywheel could contact are made of cast aluminum. It sounds like you did all the other work correctly, so that's really all I can think it could be.

I think my problem is fixed whenever I took the transmission out I had the car in neutral and when I put the transission back and connected the shifter linkage I didn't cycles through the gears before I tried to crank it. This morning I went outside and cycled through each gear with the car off it felt like something was stopping first gear from engaging so I did the other gears and went back to first gear and it engaged so I tried to start it and it started right up no odd noises or anything. Any ideas of what could have happen did not cycling through the gears before trying to crank it after the install cause the problem?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back