1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

just another snapped timing belt

Posted by ricktb, Apr 8, 2013

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. TofastForU_99

TofastForU_99 Proven Member

Joined Mar 1, 2009
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    If you need some help with a head rebuild we offer great rebuilds to high performance builds all at great prices. Here is a link feel free to check it out or call/email us with any questions.

DSM Race Heads

If you do build the head yourself Bogus pretty much has a thread on each step that needs to be done :)

2. Breezio69

Breezio69 Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2012
    SLC, Utah
    Ouch!

I am kind of curious why you wouldn't work through the bottom end with the piston to valve contact? If it were me, id pull the pistons, clean them up and take them to a machine shop to get tested for cracks. I would be more worried about that than the head really... you could drop $1000 into the head and slap it on there for 500 miles and have that piston that looked like it took the initial hit to the valves fail. Now your at square one only worse this time.

And you aren't really limited to finding a head in your area. There are 4-5 on here right now for super cheap. Sure it would be a few extra bucks to ship it, but they aren't as scarce as you'd think. And it would be much cheaper than a full rebuild and you could look into the rotating assembly. Think about how hard those pistons actually hit the valves...

Your already 2/3 of the way pulling it down, may as well do the rest for reassurance. If anything your out a set of rings.

Edit: FWIW, I know this is a COMPLETELY different scenario as far as motor type. But a few years ago I built a big bore stroker motor in a quad. The first time around (yes there was two times rebuilding this) I tested and reused the timing chain, it was within spec at the time. Took the 11 hour drive to Glamis and on day 4 of 5 out there the timing chain stretched and skipped some teeth on the cams, had piston to valve contact. When I got home and tore it down the piston (Wiseco) was cracked in 2 places around the inner skirt near the wrist pin, also took out the lower rod bearing as well and trashed my freshly ported and polished head that was built to the tits. Ended up adding another $900 to my already $1700 rebuild for not going through everything and reusing 1 stock part on it, and the upgraded chain was only $80.

Ive learned after that its better to be safe than sorry... And these guys are spot on with do it right or do it twice!

Street Build 1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. ricktb

ricktb Proven Member

Joined May 20, 2007
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    bah i was so looking forward to spring to rip around now this dammit.

511  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. ricktb

ricktb Proven Member

Joined May 20, 2007
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    back in business.. head rebuild complete and runs goood

511  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. ricktb