The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Junkyard 4g63?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0reyl

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 14, 2011
Falls Church, Virginia
Okay so I have a 93 Eclipse GS with a 4g37 1.8L piece of garbage in it.

Thing is, I have no experience junkyard pulling, but I want to get this car running, but I want to do a GST conversion. Some research tells me that the F5M22 tranny I have now will bolt up to a 4g63 without too much difficulty and it's shorter geared as well, and will handlel up to 300 or so horses. MY tranny is fine but the engine blew years ago. I have a 97 Riviera I use currently as my daily driver:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I like my Riv, but it's just too damn heavy and the wheelbase is retarded long, it's one of the most comfortable rides Iv'e ever been in though, but fuel mileage is going to shit, probably around 23mpg highway at the moment and maybe 15 in the city but I think that's because the car has 212k miles on it and the manifold is beyond dirty. I cleaned some thick sludge out of my throttle body not too long ago.

Anyway, my DSM, I want to drive some day, because A: way better mileage and B: I wanna drive a smaller, lighter faster car, and I want my car to be manual.

This is the only pic I have of my eclipse on hand. Took out headlights to clean them and see if I could sand out the ridges from the inside out LOL. I m ight just do an acrylic mold of the lenses at some point. After it blew, my mom had it sit for years. Tranny is fine and my step dad tells me the garbage 4g37 engine isn't even worth fixing. Car is in my name now

Anyway, how cheap can I get a working 4g63 and I'd need a six bolt?
Also I'm guessing I'd need a full wire harness as well.

And I'm interested in eventually doing a mild cam, and having an LSD put n the tranny if possible.

Anyone have any idea on the cost of a junkyard working 4g63 motor? Online I saw DSM gravyard sells used motors for a grand, would a junkyard be a better price?

Where the hell are you guys finding a GSX for under 2 grand? And the only place I know where to buy cars is pretty much ebay, creigslist is ok sometimes but everyone wants to rip you off. I see audio equipment people try to sell for more than you can buy the drivers brand new and the box yourself, then they are advertising a piece of shit bandpass box with a 1/4 inch acrylic Window and LED lights and claim its a competition box.. I don't have much faith left for buying things from people.

As for the corvette, the older ones might not be super awesome, but the only import carbs parking the Z06 is the Lexus LFA and it costs 3 times the price. Putting an aluminum block V8 in an RX7 barely affects the weight distribution. Why would you want a crappy water pump engine instead of a badass V8? An LS7 bored to 440 CI with the right heads and cam will push 750 horses naturally aspirated on pump gas. GM was retarded to use the LS9 in the ZR1 when they could have just made the stock LS7 better.

Where the hell are you guys finding a GSX for under 2 grand? And the only place I know where to buy cars is pretty much ebay, creigslist is ok sometimes but everyone wants to rip you off. I see audio equipment people try to sell for more than you can buy the drivers brand new and the box yourself, then they are advertising a piece of shit bandpass box with a 1/4 inch acrylic Window and LED lights and claim its a competition box.. I don't have much faith left for buying things from people.

As for the corvette, the older ones might not be super awesome, but the only import carbs parking the Z06 is the Lexus LFA and it costs 3 times the price. Putting an aluminum block V8 in an RX7 barely affects the weight distribution. Why would you want a crappy water pump engine instead of a badass V8? An LS7 bored to 440 CI with the right heads and cam will push 750 horses naturally aspirated on pump gas. GM was retarded to use the LS9 in the ZR1 when they could have just made the stock LS7 better.

You just gotta look. Ebay is ok, craigslist is where i found 2 of the 3 TSI AWD's that I bought. Did they need some work? yup, but it wasnt anything I didnt know how to fix. If you are trying to find a gsx that is running sound and drivable then you might be SOL.

Shit, just the other day I scored an entire longblock with adjustable cam gears for $150. I had no idea if the block was any good, but the head looked fine and I was going to buy some adjustable cam gears anyway. Since the price for the cam gears was about $150, thats what i offered him and he took it (originally selling it for $250). Turns out the block looks like it was just honed and the pistons had 0 carbon build up. It looks like a brand new assembled shortblock.

Secret: Look on craigslist in your local area or within any city 50 miles or less from you, every day. Its not hard at all, just use keywords "talon" and "gsx". You just have to be smart about what you're purchasing and always ALWAYS!!! pay less than the advertised price if purchasing something on Craigslist.

ebay & craigslist are not the only options available to you friend(op), I've found fantastic cars in the local newspaper or pennysaver... Cars found through these sources often come from older adults who aren't familiar with ebay or cl, believe it or not.

1. R35
2. You need to do actual research on rotary engines.
3. GM is no where near retarded, I trust their research and development over some guy who claims just slapping XYZ on ABC makes 123.

creigslist is ok sometimes but everyone wants to rip you off.

Welcome to planet Earth. Of course everyone is going to try and sell you junk for a fortune. I have honestly never looked on eBay for a car, there's no point. I found all my cars on craigslist. Sure, I looked at dozens of cars that were complete trash. One DSM had the oil pan literally ripped off, the engine spit a rod out the back of the block, and there was a hole bashed through the floor. The guy still wanted $5,000 and I'm pretty sure it was stolen. :|

Point is, there's no reason to spend that much on a 20 year old car that is more than likely going to need work. Anyone who asks that much is off their rocker and will never sell the car. For the price of converting your car to FWD turbo, you could buy a decent AWD turbo car. Whether you want to argue that fact or try to justify 4g63 swapping your car, that's up to you. But nobody here is going to say it's worth it, because it's not.

Welcome to planet Earth. Of course everyone is going to try and sell you junk for a fortune. I have honestly never looked on eBay for a car, there's no point. I found all my cars on craigslist. Sure, I looked at dozens of cars that were complete trash. One DSM had the oil pan literally ripped off, the engine spit a rod out the back of the block, and there was a hole bashed through the floor. The guy still wanted $5,000 and I'm pretty sure it was stolen. :|

Point is, there's no reason to spend that much on a 20 year old car that is more than likely going to need work. Anyone who asks that much is off their rocker and will never sell the car. For the price of converting your car to FWD turbo, you could buy a decent AWD turbo car. Whether you want to argue that fact or try to justify 4g63 swapping your car, that's up to you. But nobody here is going to say it's worth it, because it's not.

I got my current off of ebay for 520$. I bid 500 thinking I'd be outbid for sure then someone bid 510$ and i was like well i can't let it go for this cheap lets male him pay more. I bid 520$ and ended with the car LOL. Spent 270$ getting it home.

whoa!! $520 for the car was a great purchase. I would say there are good deals on ebay and craigslist. with a car this old they are all going to need work so just be prepared to get the car in the condition you want it. Ive personally have had great success on both ebay and craigslist. Good luck!

I'm not going to read all of this. I will just let the op know that I have done the 1.8 to 2.0 Turbo conversion and I did it with cost. Of car for under 2 grand. That included evo pistons on 1g rods 272 cams 560 injectors and some other odds and ends. People may tell you this and that but you will run into problems. You need a north south sub frame bar from a 1g fwd 2.0 due to motor mount location. I used a fwd Turbo trans cause I didn't have a flywheel that would fit in the 1.8 tranny. If you have any questions pm me I would be happy to help out with what I can.

I understand your situation but at the same time i see you are talking about a bunch of goals at once. maybe try crossing one bridge at a time and you will see that everything will line up easier.
A working 4g63 in a junkyard is almost impossible. you have to understand 99% of cars ending in the junkyard is because it stopped working, usually the engine/trans gave up. so junkyard or not you will need to rebuild it anyways. no such thing as buying a working longblock for cheap either.

I also see that you are wanting to do the engine swap/trans swap but I see that you are not fully knowledgeable in it yet. So start studying the project, make a plan and in the meanwhile save money. dont jump the gun buying parts without knowing what you are going to get into because you might backout and loose all your money and time. again, one thing at a time!
I've got a question. How do you identify a 4G63 engine in a junkyard? Where do you find the stamp on the block? I know they came 8n Eclipses, Galants and Lancers

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back