The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

is it normal for a turbo converted engine to burn oil fast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulato1978

Probationary Member
Nov 10, 2009
kent, Washington
i recently did a turbo conversion on my 4g64 spyder , it came out great!!! but i have noticed that my engine burns the oil faster than when i didnt have the turbo , i been hearing from people that is normal because of the turbo but i still want to know what your opinion on this, i will be checking the compression on my pistons just in case !! does anybody knows what is the ideal compression on the pistons for a 4g64 spyder? hope to hear from you guys!!

It is normal due to the stress on the engine. The factory specified is 192psi with a max of 14psi difference between cylinders.

It is normal due to the stress on the engine. The factory specified is 192psi with a max of 14psi difference between cylinders.

ok! thanx !! i been using a lil thicker oil than usual im supposed to use 10 w 30 i been using 10 w 40 any recommendations for oil i should use? so i should get new rings if my psi goes below........?

The service limit should be around the low 140's but don't quote me on that. I run Mobil1 15w-50 in my car and would recommend it.

It's especially normal to burn LOTs of oil when your turbo is going out. What turbo and how many miles? New or used turbo?

its a semi- used turbo from a 2.0 turbo engine , i didnt want to get a bigger turbo untill im ready to go stage 2 all the way.

The turbocharger basically adds another outlet for oil to burn- especially on the turbine side. The turbine seal is basically a small piston ring that fits tightly into the housing but loosely on the shaft, so there is always a possibility of losing small amounts of oil around the turbine seal during normal operation. This will not amount to much- maybe 8-12 additional ounces between changes.

If your car is suddenly burning a quart every 200-400 miles, it's not the fault of the turbo.

The turbocharger basically adds another outlet for oil to burn- especially on the turbine side. The turbine seal is basically a small piston ring that fits tightly into the housing but loosely on the shaft, so there is always a possibility of losing small amounts of oil around the turbine seal during normal operation. This will not amount to much- maybe 8-12 additional ounces between changes.

If your car is suddenly burning a quart every 200-400 miles, it's not the fault of the turbo.

I saw my 14b burn more that, maybe a bit more even when driven hard, when it was going out (unless I stayed off the boost).

its a semi- used turbo from a 2.0 turbo engine , i didnt want to get a bigger turbo untill im ready to go stage 2 all the way.

Do a simple test; top off oil, drive real easy for a while and check oil. Top off, drive harder for same amount of time, and check oil again. Usually if you burn more when boosting more, it is turbo related.

You can put on a catch can setup if you want to see if it is caused by excess cylinder pressure/blowbye. My catchcan never got full but I kept having to add oil and car was not leaking. So it meant turbo related (my valve stem seals were good and compression test good).

Last edited:
The service limit should be around the low 140's but don't quote me on that. I run Mobil1 15w-50 in my car and would recommend it.

thanx man i will be giving it a try before i do the rings, that way i can see if the engine burns the oil the same way or not.

I saw my 14b burn more that, maybe a bit more even when driven hard, when it was going out (unless I stayed off the boost).

Do a simple test; top off oil, drive real easy for a while and check oil. Top off, drive harder for same amount of time, and check oil again. Usually if you burn more when boosting more, it is turbo related.

You can put on a catch can setup if you want to see if it is caused by excess cylinder pressure/blowbye. My catchcan never got full but I kept having to add oil and car was not leaking. So it meant turbo related (my valve stem seals were good and compression test good).

yeah i will be getting thiker oil and do a test to see if the engine burns the oil the same way before i do the ring job, hey since i did the turbo conversion what kind of spark plugs do you recomend, do you think i can get plugs for the 2.0 turbo on my 2.4 L?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back