1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Is it normal for engine to run like crap when overheating?

Posted by John Mark Dongon, Sep 11, 2019

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. John Mark Dongon

John Mark Dongon Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2019
    Stockton, California
    Ok so I took my car for a drive ran good for first few minutes,but moments later the car ran like crap, couldn't even go faster than 20mph. I slowly drove the car home and when I arrived the engine was smoking like hell and noticed coolant was leaking. I just want to be sure that the sluggish performance was from overheating due to lack/leaking coolant or could it be from something else? Car idles and revs fine,until I actually drive it

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019

Street Build 247  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    automatic · 2G DSM
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Typically when an engine is overheated extensively, you have a slew of problems that can contribute to poor performance. Pre-ignition/detonation, fuel boiling/vaporization in the fuel system, overexpansion of certain components causing binding or metal-metal contact or even leaks, improper sealing of valves and/or gaskets, material fatigue....

Basically yea there's a myriad of reasons your car will run like isht of it's run in an overheated state...

Street Build 199  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

287  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 838  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    John Mark Dongon likes this.
  3. curt-s

curt-s Proven Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    what was your coolant temp when it was running like this? generally, if you overheat to the point its causing significant driving impairment, the engine doesnt fully recover. head gasket is usually the first to let go due to surface warpage, and then a host of other damage
    compression test and leakdown should be on order. at the least, see if you have air escaping into adjacent cylinders, oil, or coolant passages. you could be leaking combustion directly into your coolant, causing it to rise in temp uncontrollably and be unable to remove heat from the cylinder walls, not to mention also pressurizing the system to where your hose clamps cannot contain it.

Street Build 2K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM