The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Is anyone running GM coolant temp sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

007jimmy

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2012
Levittown, Pennsylvania
Like the title states, is anyone using the GM coolant temp sensor? It uses the same two prong connector like the stocker and also uses resistance to measure the temperature. The thread pitch is the same and it should bolt right up. The 2 wire pigtail is a better option and the wires are bigger. We all know that the stock DSM ECT pigtail is brittle and commonly breaks (mine included). I dont want to purchase a used brittle pigtail just so it can break again. The GM sensor cand be picked up at any parts store and they even sell a new pigtail for the sensor.

There is not much info on this swap but i feel that the GM sensor should be read fine by the DSM ECU. So if anyone has done this let me know. Thanks.

You need to look at the resistance values at certain temperatures to determine if the sensor can be swapped. The chances of them being the same are slim to none.

I have link so i could log the temperature before i even start it so see if they read the same temp cold. I really dont see how much different the sensors can be, its just a matter of the DSM ECU reading it right. If its only off by a few degrees (+/-5) ill be happy with that.

I dont have an update on this. I am waiting for my replacement thermostat housing before i try this swap. Should be in a few days, its only coming from central PA so i will install it that same day. I stripped my housing out and have a c clamp holding the 2bolt cover for the thermostat on the housing. ROFL

I already have a pigtail and a GM sensor.

I just wanted to update this thread. Got the sensor and pigtail installed today. The sensor sticks out slightly further then stock but otherwise threaded right in the stock location. the wiring was simple too, as it doesnt matter which of the 2 wires you connect together. Logged almost exactly the same temps as the stock ECT sensor, at most it might be off a few degrees (1-2 if that). Fans kick on and off as usual at around 210* idle.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

These GM sensors and pigtails can be bought in most auto parts stores and for you junkyard DSMers (like me) there are usually a TON of these available.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back