The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Is a 16g really what I want...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drooseph

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2010
san diego, California
I recently accquired a real mitsu small 16g alon with an upgrade side mount and all piping. I want to run stock boost, I was getting 16 psi with my t25 and bcs with no controller, and i don't want to run this setup if its not really worth it. my question is, is a 16g really worth the lag if only running stock boost and no tuning? And I do NOT want to run a FMIC.

Any 16g is better than your T25, you should be able to run it (depending on which 16g and supporting mods) @ 14-15psi on stock fuel without issues.

I just want to run a bigger turbo without needing my front mount and injectors and all that. this upgrade side mount will be good with this setup i will be happy. thanks guys.

Your going to notice a difference running the same boost as the t25 on the 16g..And If it's a small 16g they tend to spool around 3k or a little less..

What side mount did you get the supra or one of the supporting vendors super sidemount kit?

The supra sidemount kit will hold 350 whp..

Any upgrade even to a bigger sidemount will be more efficiant than a 1g or 2g stock sidemount.

You're not planning on keeping it at stock boost indefinitely are you? If so, then no, it's not worth it to upgrade in my opinion. If you eventually plan to run more than stock boost, and plan on upgrading the fuel system sometime down the road, then yes, it's worth it.

I have a small 16g with ported housing, front mount, 1g bov, intake, and FFWD FP manifold...
The lag from a t-25 to s16g is pretty substantial on stock-ish setup. Figure the car is going to be an utter dog below 3k. It's almost scary when you pull out in front of someone and you got lag.
The biggest problem I think you are going to find is running stock boost on the 16g. With the bcs or mbc I can't get the turbo to hold anything under 17psi (boost creep is very common) and that hits fuel cut at 5k. There is a ton of posts about 16g's and trying to run stock boost. Boost creep sucks!!
Anything over 15psi on 450's is going to bad without more fuel and tuning. I have a wideband and trying to stay out of WOT until I get a 190 fuel pump, 650's, and Tantrix.

So the bottom line is would I try to run a small 16g (or any other 16g for that matter) with even less than what I have now? Not a chance, the lag sucks, the risk of blowing up my car, fuel cut, trying to run stock boost...

If you can get it tuned, run safe levels of boost, it can be a sweet turbo. Mine sounds like a jet engine and has a lot more "butt dyno" once she is going. If I had to do it over I would get the tuning parts first, tweak the t-25 until I had everything ready for the 16g.
Good luck, and I hope my opinion helps you :)

I have a small 16g with ported housing, front mount, 1g bov, intake, and FFWD FP manifold...
The lag from a t-25 to s16g is pretty substantial on stock-ish setup. Figure the car is going to be an utter dog below 3k. It's almost scary when you pull out in front of someone and you got lag.
The biggest problem I think you are going to find is running stock boost on the 16g. With the bcs or mbc I can't get the turbo to hold anything under 17psi (boost creep is very common) and that hits fuel cut at 5k. There is a ton of posts about 16g's and trying to run stock boost. Boost creep sucks!!
Anything over 15psi on 450's is going to bad without more fuel and tuning. I have a wideband and trying to stay out of WOT until I get a 190 fuel pump, 650's, and Tantrix.

So the bottom line is would I try to run a small 16g (or any other 16g for that matter) with even less than what I have now? Not a chance, the lag sucks, the risk of blowing up my car, fuel cut, trying to run stock boost...

If you can get it tuned, run safe levels of boost, it can be a sweet turbo. Mine sounds like a jet engine and has a lot more "butt dyno" once she is going. If I had to do it over I would get the tuning parts first, tweak the t-25 until I had everything ready for the 16g.
Good luck, and I hope my opinion helps you :)

Keep in mind he does have larger injectors handy if he needs them.

If you are wanting power before 3k rpm then a 16g is not for you. But they are a hell of a lot more fun once you turn up the boost. 17+psi is when it starts getting really fun on a small 16G.

I recently accquired a real mitsu small 16g alon with an upgrade side mount and all piping. I want to run stock boost, I was getting 16 psi with my t25 and bcs with no controller, and i don't want to run this setup if its not really worth it. my question is, is a 16g really worth the lag if only running stock boost and no tuning? And I do NOT want to run a FMIC.

Running stock boost levels on a larger turbo will not make you any faster...Im sure the extra lag will only slow you up.

the t25 trubo is a joke ive used the 14b on 2g cars and what a difference!! you wont be disappointed with the 16g turbo

I know I find it weird, Ive seen multiple people on here say their 16g is too lagy and its so slow before boost. I would hate to hear what they say if the had a 50trim or holset
And its a turbo charged car. What do you expect? If you dont want lag find a different car with a supercharger.

No, bigger turbo=more air flow. Doesnt matter, he will notice a significant difference even at stock boost levels on a 16g compared to a t25.

Hes still limited by stock fuel system and no tuning. He will have to run lower psi on a larger turbo. So it cancels out really. The only gain is extra lag.

Who races below 3k rpm?

Who races on stock boost LOL

I ran a s16g on one of my 2gs. The only other mods i had was down pipe, 3in exhaust and hard piping. It pulled considerably harder than my buddy who had an identical car with identical mods running a t25. And the little bit of lag made no difference. Bigger turbo=more airflow at the same boost level. I had no problems with running stock boost on a 16g with no other mods. So to the op i would say go with the s16g, you won't regret it.

I know I find it weird, Ive seen multiple people on here say their 16g is too lagy and its so slow before boost. I would hate to hear what they say if the had a 50trim or holset
And its a turbo charged car. What do you expect? If you dont want lag find a different car with a supercharger.

ha they should ride in my car. Full boost at 5k rpms. I think I could run faster than my car below that.

This is what I was refering to. Of course a s16g or any 16g is going to make more power, but with no supporting mods? Yes after 17psi the 16g would be a lot of fun, but again with 450cc injectors, no upgraded fuel pump, or even a re-wire?

T-25 makes power at like nothing rpm (if you want to be serious I think mine was around 2k rpm, maybe lower?), and all I was saying is that with out being able to control the boost creep, if he has it, and on stock fuel with no way to tune or log, that it would be better to stick with the t-25.

Yeah a 14b, s16g, e316g, all those turbos are far better than the stocker, but with no fuel or way to turn the boost up past 15psi what are you going to do?

You said keep in mind he has larger injectors handy, so he bumps from the 390's to the 450's, how is he going to account for the injector? Also 450's are not big enough for 16g after 15psi...

I was only basing my opinions of his initial post, and it happened to be about the same situation I was in. Putting a s16g on over the stock t-25 and not having the fuel to support. If he can find a way to keep it from creeping and hold steady at under 15psi it could be fun.

Who races with stock boost? I don't know how about the guys that have stock cars? Or cars that have typical intake, header, and exhaust and now they think they are ready to bolt on a new turbo?

But hey good luck! Rock it if you want, just don't expect boost to be instant like the t-25:thumb:

BTW in reference to 16g being laggy, I would not call any 16g laggy except for when compared to a t-25. Seeing full boost after 4500 on FP Green was on the laggy side...but that is to be expected when your bolting on a turbo that is 3x larger than the stock. Compensate with stroker and cams :) But this is all way past what the OP was asking.

Last edited:
To the OP....I ran a 14B @ 16psi with only a fuel pump rewire for the longest time. I then ran a small 16G @ 17 psi daily on just a walbro 190 pump and upgraded sidemount IC.

My facts: boost lag was noticeable when going from the 14B to 16G - infact at stock boost levels I preferred the 14B (much more fun on a daily). I did not notice the benefits of the 16G until after pushing above 17 psi on 550 injectors.

Summary: On a daily driven vehicle in which you do not plan to boost past stock levels I would stay with the quick spooling t-25 or even a 14B.....once you go higher than stock boost levels look into a 16G variant

If you don't plan on turning the boost up, don't use the 16g. And if you're really worried about lag, just run a compound setup with your t25 and 16g LOL. But really, boost creep is going to be a problem for you. And that thing will creep easily to 17 if you don't have an external wastegate. And at 17 psi and stock injectors, you'll be running super lean.

There is a big difference between whether something CAN be done, and whether it can be SAFELY done. For all the same reasons listed above, I would have to err on the side of caution and say I might hold off putting the s16g on until you had a 190 pump, some 550's and a fuel management of some kind, even if it was simply an SAFC. Once you've done the damage running lean, you're in a world of hurt, and to be honest, those mods aren't crazy expensive, even if it takes you awhile to get them in place. In the long run, I would prefer someone upgrade their car safely rather than just trying to find out if things will be ok in the long run. Just my $.02

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back