The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Infineon Wednesday Night Drags

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pneumo

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
Bay Area, California
Hi All,
It's that time of year again, the track at Infineon Raceway begins it's Wednesday night drag racing session this Wed, 3/7
Who else is going? Any Evo guys heading out?

I checked the weather report, and it looks like there's a slight chance of rain in the north bay Wed night. At first the weather report was saying it was going to rain all day Wed, now the storm is weakening. I'm watching the weather and Infineons website closely to see if they'll be open. So far it's looking good!

I'm taking my Talon out to see what it can do. I've been tuning it this past winter and it's running very well. I haven't updated my profile yet, so my mods now include a GT35, big fmic, JMfab smim, Q45 TB, 1k injectors, FP cams, and an eprom chip tweaked beyond recognition!
I just hope I can get traction! I had the car on the track on Nov. 8 when those mods had been on the car for just a few weeks and ran 125.8 mph while smoking the tires through first gear and bogging second. My goal is to have a clean run and go MUCH faster. It's gonna be fun!

Infineons schedule as seen here: http://www.infineonraceway.com/schedule/dragstrip_schedule/

June 2007

06/13/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
06/16/2007 Mopar Bracket Drags
06/17/2007 Bracket Drags
06/27/2007 Wednesday Night Drags

July 2007

07/04/2007 Bracket Drags
07/11/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
07/18/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
07/22/2007 Bracket Drags

August 2007

08/02/2007 Drag Testing
08/08/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
08/15/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
08/29/2007 Wednesday Night Drags

September 2007

09/03/2007 Bracket Drags
09/05/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
09/12/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
09/19/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
09/26/2007 Wednesday Night Drags

October 2007

10/03/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
10/10/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
10/17/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
10/31/2007 Wednesday Night Drags

November 2007

11/07/2007 Wednesday Night Drags
11/25/2007 Bracket Drags

ahh dave ya beat me to it! i was just logging on to announce the wed night drag season is opening. I thought it was next week though....

For all of you who dont know... check it out http://www.infineonraceway.com/raceway_info/you_can_race/wednesday_night_drags/

that should be all the info you need on the drags.

As far as my car, i finally have boost! paul fabbed up an o2 housing for me on sunday to support my external wastegate, and my new motor now finally boosts. It seems to pull pretty good (since i threw on my fmic and 2g mas at the same time).

Im down to go check out the races this wednesday. Im not doing anything. I'll run the car as it is, 10 psi, no tuning to get somewhat of a base run for the season. I would have loved to run it bone stock with the built motor, but in order to fab up the right spacing for the o2 housing/dump tube we had to have the short route fmic piping in there, and to have the intake fit for the fmic, i had to throw on the 2g mas.

My track goals: im only going to be on 10 psi, hopefull run 14's all day, and im going to work on my 60ft times. I havent launched the car in 6-months and now i have this fidanza flywheel in there so im going to have to re-learn how to launch at the track (hopefully i dont break any axels or my rear end with this damn welded diff!)

I guess anyone interested in heading up there chime in. I know i have a few friends that are trying to go next wednesday so i'll let you guys know about that too.

**EDIT** for all of you that came last year the price has gone up... $25 to compete $15 to compete in High School class (sometimes you can just show em you current HS id and run whatever class you want but other times they are anal) and $10 for spectators (make em bring a damn camera!!!)

I checked the weather for sonoma at weather.com and it looks like its going to rain tomorrow.
I'll try to call sometime in the morning to check if racing is on or not... when I hear something i'll post up. If you dont hear from me feel free to call for yourself. 800 870 RACE

No rain! please! It was soo nice today, how can it rain tomorow? I hope the weather doesn't repeat what it did last year. :( grrrr

dave! do your indian anti-rain dance!!!

If it doesnt rain, im down to go, are you going for sure?? How early are you going to get there?

Hey worst comes to worst, we get there get a run in, it rains out, and we get a free pass for next time, or its cancelled and we dont even get to go up there at all...

Im trying to get my NLTS to work. It seems that whatever i set it to with dsmlink it sets as my revlimit without me stepping on the clutch. I think i need to log clutchswitch and see if its seeing that its pressed in all the time. I made sure that the clutch is pressing it when fully out a couple of weeks ago when paul welded the assembly. Ahhh WTF?!!? i need to look deeper into it.

Anyways...Anyone else interested in heading up there tomorrow?
FWIW i'll be leaving SF tomorrow at 1:30-2:00 (i like to race in the front of the line)

The weather reports look OK. The Infineon hotline says they'll be able to say yes/no if we call after 12 noon. I hope to get there before 3, maybe earlier, maybe 2:30. I'm going to drop by FFTec on my way up, don't know how long I'll be there.

Looks like racing will proceed as scheduled.
My car is pissing me off b/c this damn hks ssqv flutters like hell when im supposed to blow off... before the new motor, it used to do a big sneeze and soung like a louder 1g bov. Now it flutters and sometimes the revs drop and the car dies. Looking at the boost gauge, it does blow off and drop pressure, but then it feels like the car kind of surges after.... i hope its not bad compressor surge.

Im going to still try to make it out to the track though... i hope its not too crowded.

Sorry Dave, i flaked!!!
I had a few things i was trying to do before leaving and my car started frustrating me and i just got it boosting on sunday so i figured id handle all the last little things that i have to before i go to the track in a couple of weeks. I didnt have enough time to log with dsmlink to figure out my NLTS problem and if my BOV is venting or not and if its surging or not, and how much fluid i have in my damn leaking t-case. Id rather not blow the car up again.....

Anyways, i hope ya did good, post up your results/stories when you can.

And lastly, lets plan ahead, infineon is closed next wednesday so we have 2 weeks to get a bunch of people together for the 21st. I already am planning on going and i have 2 friends that are interested... anyone else trying to go?

Bah, you flakin flake! :) you missed a good night. There were about 5 Evos out there and it wasn't too crowded. It's a good move to make sure your car is 100% first, glad to hear you got the clutch fixed.

Since I only got two runs I had a chance to watch for the rest of the night until the rain blew in. It was cool seeing how most of the Evos were in the 12's with just a few mods. There was even a guy with a new white Evo9 rs that did mid 13's, and his car was so new it didn't have plates yet!

I was also impressed with how well most of them were launching their cars. It sounded like a 5500rpm launch with a very quick slip of the clutch. Except for the guy with the modded white Evo who spun all 4 off the line, I think that was a bit too quick, although the crowd liked it!

I also noticed most WRX/STi's were in the 14's and they all seemed to launch like their trannies were made of eggshells. It sounded like they raised the revs to 4k rpm, then slipped the clutch too long while simultaneously bogging. There was a WRX wagon that broke on the line. It was reving the engine pretty hard, when the light turned green it went 'pop' and just sat there. It didn't even move! Maybe that's why subie guys have to launch like ####ies. After feeling the thrust of a good launch in my Talon and watching the Evo guys do the same, I don't think I could own a subie.

My first run started well with a 1.69 60' time, but when I shifted into 3rd gear the clutch wouldn't grab! I had to back off the throttle completely 3 times before it caught. That run went 11.6 @118mph

Second run went very well. It started with a slightly slippery 1.81 60' time, I nailed the shifts, the clutch held just fine, I think I hit my shift points( it's hard to tell since they come up so fast) and went through the traps at 7500rpm in 4th gear.
and got my best time and best mph by far
11.30 @ 130.6mph!

One of the track marshalls flagged me down and gave me a little talk. He saw that I didn't have the right safety gear for the speed I was going. He said if I can keep it slower than 11.5 I can keep running. I said I'll try my best, but then changed my mind and parked the car for the night. After a run like that, how can I 'race' at less than maximum! So I watched the other cars and talked with a bunch of very enthusiastic racers until the rain came.

So now I need to get some safety gear. I was already talking with Sean at FFTec.com earlier today. It looks like a nice shop, anyone else been there? They're very local to me, have stuff in stock, good fab experience, and they have an AWD dyno. It's getting tough for me to tune the car on the street since second gear pulls go by too quick and usually include wheelspin which throws off the datalogs. 3rd gear pulls are simply unsafe on the street- 8500rpm in 3rd = 113 mph! Looks like it's dyno time!

Dave W.

Oh yeah, here's the timeslip. Notice how my mph in the 1/8th is faster than the other car in the 1/4? That was against a modded honda S2000. Freaky! :rocks:

Attachments

• 11-3.JPG
    11-3.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 442
i have had experience with fftec. sean is very good to work with and does great work. check out the cage in "his" 1g. its nice. or check out the cage he fabbed for the hatchi. i highly recommend sean for tuning and i he will be tuning my new setup as well.

A little quick on the light there Eh Dave? NICE RUNS! i knew it would only be a matter of 2-3 runs before they kicked you out.
What kind of gas/boost were you running? I know you like the leaded stuff, but you said you were tuning on the street so im figuring those runs were on 91 and <28psi?

The longer i didnt do anything yesterday the more i wished i had gone to the track! I took my friend for a ride (the one who's dad built my motor for me) and at 10psi he looked pretty scared, he said my car has to run low 13's as it sits, but i told him hes smokin crack b/c im only at 10psi... the car has great low end, but it needs some more boost to get REALLY moving in the top end. His comment really made me wish that i had gone yesterday to see what the car is running. Oh well, im going to get the last couple of bugs worked out and on the 21st come out screaming.

Im curious too as to what saftey equiptment you need. Is it just a cage? or is there more? Seatbelts too?

Let me know when you are going to go hit FFTEC for tuning. Im going to re-wire my fuel pump, slap my 660's back in the car, colder plugs, fill up with 100 octane, then its time to go dyno tune and run some 12's at the track.

Who's down for the 21'st damnit!?

sick, nice times. I didn't go because the minivan is out of gas, and the talon is down, it IS a talon. Also, I have a pretty big track meet on this saturday, our fastest runner has mono, so now I have to "step up" and take his place. Unfortunately, it sounds like I won't be able to go until june or july. Because of this, I will be waiting an extra two months to buy all the parts for the turbo project. Theres no point in buying them if I have no time to work on it or drive it. I'll get the fuel system set up, the supra fuel pump is for sale, and an aeromotive a1000 is going in with a 14 gallon fuel cell. I realized this will only be 70 dollars more, (if I sell the supra pump for 200) and I'll have a much easier time installing, as well as a properly functioning fuel level gauge. Once the car is running again, Im going to rattle can those tan parts (band aid, I'll paint it once I have the money), and try and pull that dent myself.

Edwin, we all know you love sean, I think its time you stopped posting in every thread his name comes up in.

I was also considering actually building the motor before I buy the turbo, even though that won't produce the same results, it would make more sense in the long run. This summer I'll be working full time and making bank hopefully. Tips at a golf course go up like crazy during the summer. Something about good weather just brings people out to play a few holes. The car is going to get a decent amount of mods before the next time it head to the track either way.

One of the Evo guys got it on video. check it out. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3123757668280571397 <32k dialup safe, its a short vid! :)

The safety equipment I'll need include a rollbar/cage, drivers jacket, scattershield and maybe a few other things. I haven't read the rules in a while. I might need a battery cutoff on the rear bumper?

After watching the vid I think I need stiffer suspension. The Koni front struts were already at full stiff and you can see the front end rise when I hit second gear. So I'll look at stiffer springs next. The ride is almost comfy on the street, so I can tolerate a stiffer spring.

i have had experience with fftec. sean is very good to work with and does great work. check out the cage in "his" 1g. its nice. or check out the cage he fabbed for the hatchi. i highly recommend sean for tuning and i he will be tuning my new setup as well.

The 'hatchi'?
When I was there yesterday there was a really clean white silvia conversion, or was it a conversion? Beautiful car! It made my car look butt-ugly by comparison. I keep thinking I should get a nice paint job on it, but when I save up a few bucks I'm like, 'I know what'll make my car a little faster!' and I spend the money on that instead. Oh well, it makes me happy for sure:thumb:

Oh yeah, I was running 1/4 tank of pump gas with a couple gallons of 116 mixed in. It might average out to around 97 or 98 octane. Boost was up to 28 psi with no knock. Timing peaked at 20 degrees around 7500 rpm. I think with higher octane I can push a few psi more boost, but that'll have to wait until next time!

OMG :thumb:
Sweet video dave!!! whoever you raced looked slow as balls next to ya! You should post that up in the DSM video section.

Lately ive been feeling like my shocks are on their way out too... oh well we'll just have to see how long they last for this season.

Damn... watchin that video makes me real anxious to go get my a$$ to the track.
Dave, do you plan to go again soon? or are you going to get your safety stuff in the car first?? (i think the battery cutoff is only for if you have relocated the battery to the trunk, but dont quote me on that, i havent read too much into the rules for a car as fast as yours :p )

Yeah, I have to take care of the safety gear first, then dyno tune it for 30+psi. I'm up for watching you guys run and take the vids if you're ready to go in a couple weeks.

why not bring out project mpg again?

I dont have a camera, so i dont know who would give you one to tape with.

EDIT... hot damn dave! your 1/8mi mph is faster than my 13.5 mph. You need to take me for a spin in your car

why not bring out project mpg again?
Hmm, I guess I could do that. It's kinda fun reporting to the guys at GasSavers.org how bad my mpg is at the track.

T9S1i said:
I dont have a camera, so i dont know who would give you one to tape with.
I got an upgraded memory chip for my digicam that'll let me take a few minutes of vid. I just need to figure out how to post them somewhere.

T9S1i said:
EDIT... hot damn dave! your 1/8mi mph is faster than my 13.5 mph. You need to take me for a spin in your car
Yeah, it was a REALLY sweet run!

hmmm is it going to rain wednesday or not? As of right now, weather.com says no. So im going to plan on going to the races wednesday.
I still have my stutterbox set at 4500 and i just did a launch with my car and gave it a good slip/dump and man the car flew off the line! It has to be one of the hardest launches ive done in the car and i havent even tried a 5000 or 5500rpm launch yet. I think this season im going to finally cut a 1.7, if not a 1.6 60foot. That is definately one of my goals, along with a 12 sec 1/4 mile.
On another note, the top end just isnt great in my car. I guess 10psi will do that to ya. First and second gear feel great but i can just feel the car just doesnt pull in third and fourth. I havent done a full 1/4mi pass in my car b/c its so damn loud with the dumped external, i dont want problems with the fuzz. Ive only dont 1st,2nd gear pulls and 3rd and 4th on the freeway. Im going to have to see what 1,2,3,4 feel like in a row, maybe 3rd and 4th will feel faster if i have 1 and 2 to start em out. I'll see what the car runs at 10psi this time but after that im putting my injectors and AFPR back on and tuning for 15-20psi.

Anyone else planning on going? I talked to Dave the other day and he said he's down to come and film. I also have a few friends that work at jiffy lube in SF that are interested in going. 1 DSM for sure.

I WAS going to surprise you guys by showing up this wednesday. I got my fuel cell/a1000 in the mail and yada yada yada, so I ordered all the last parts about two weeks ago and was planning on a big surprise.

then summit backordered one of my parts, and sent me two wrong parts which I had to mail back in exchange for the right ones, which still haven't arrived yet.

plus it doesn't help that the car wouldn't be tuned, and I don't even have the wires/fuse/relay for the a1000 yet. This is one of the few wednesdays I don't have a track meet, so it was as if the moons all aligned.

then they kicked me in the balls. I don't even know where Im going to mount the a1000 or the fuel cell. They might have to go in the trunk. Even though Im removing the stock tank, the problems are: 1. mounting points for the a1000 are limited, I would HATE to have a 300 dollar fuel pump fall off my car and break or some shit. (edwin knows all about shit falling off my car and hitting his) 2. The fuel cell can only be filled from the top (didn't take me long to figure that one out, LOL) so if I mount it where the stock one is, I won't be able to re-fill it without removing it. I would perfer the stealthyness of having the fuel tank in the stock location, since I don't want people thinking this is a 100% drag racer, but if I have to, its what I have to do.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back