The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Improvements on Saturn Alt Swap Mounting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
So I have done the Saturn alt swap about a month ago. It was all good before the FL rains came though on Monday.

This morning I started the car and left for work, the belts were going crazy with noise. I figured it was just the first wet morning of the year, and the belts would stop making noise once it heated up alittle. It did. Once on the interstate (80mph for 20 miles) the belts went postal. Started with a squeal, then howling, then grinding, then a thud and a bump. All quite and the battery light on.

Well the alt fell off and lifted the chassis as I ran it over.

The pigtail was ripped off, belt mia, alt all kinds of screwed, and the timing belt was missing a few chunks. I stopped picked all the parts up that I could and finished the drive to work, about 15miles.

So needless to say I fixed the timing belt on my lunch break and had my local advance order a replacement alt.

Its all fixed now, but how the hell do you secure this alt so vibration, water, oil not loosen the main hinge bolt? I used red locktight, lock nuts, and nord-lock washers. All failed me today.

Any ideas??

Do you have stock motor mounts? i had a soild front mount which made more vibration which caused my alternator to come loose and the belt ended up coming off but i had nothing on the threads so im dont know how to make it secure

The trans is a full prothane insert, rest are new oem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back