The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Idling problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh_92DSM

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2010
Sparks, Nevada
I have a 1992 eagle talon tsi I just got it so new to the 4g63's really like it so far got some issues hopin somebody can help me with?
So I traded my old Honda for it and the guy said before the timing belt snapped and it bent valves but he got the head rebuilt and supposably put new piston rings in and resurfaced the pistons but I'm not sure if I believe him
regardless my problem is he said he put the 16g turbo on it hasn't been tuned and he said he never messed with the idle control valve because when the car is just sitting there on idle it goes from 1k rpm to 1.5k rpm then back and forth doesn't effect the car as far as I see but it's super annoying and I don't think it will pass smog like that so any clues on what it is and how I can fix it?
Also it seems like if I don't let my car warm up long enough when I step on it like right as it reaches boost it kinda bogs like studdering then stops doing it I have an oil leak coming somewhere around the turbo just for more info about the car also when I'm just cruisin I somewhat hear the valves ticking should I go somewhere to get them adjusted and or looked at let me know what you guys think I appreciate it a lot

-thanks
Josh

If you're worried about rings/valves do a compression test. The valve ticking you hear is probably just noisy lifters which is pretty much the norm with DSM's. As far as the idle I would do BLT to see if you have any leaks, but it's more than likely going to be something going on with one of the sensors so either scan it or log and see what the signals ecu is looking at.

My car did the up and down idle thing for a while, sometimes this happens because people overtighten the throttle cable, loosen the 2 10mm bolts on the back of the intake that hold the bracket and if it slaps forward thats probably your problem.

the valves tic in these cars, try running heavier oil like 10-30 or 40 and it will quiet it down a little. Sounds like your turbo is going bad, also do a boost leak test up to 14 psi (anything higher will bleed out the POS 2g bov)

half a quart of atf in the oil for 20 minutes of driving and then change oil. That will fix the lifter tick 80 percent of the time.

Bent valves on the head will cause a surging idle so get it compression checked especially since he lost the timing belt.

Im not to sure about the whole resurfacing pistons but removing material for the piston will change the compression ratio, if they are not all the same cc then this could also cause a lope in the idle.

vacuum leak, tps, isc cables throttle body so many differnt things pick one and go from there vfaq.com is as great way to start checking for idle issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back