The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

humming sound from front left

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsukid02

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Another issue i noticed happened just today, only when i turn left, i hear a hum, or a growling noise coming from the front left. I thought it was a wheel bearing, but if a wheel bearing goes isnt it usually the opposite side? like if i turn left the sound would come from the right side, and vice versa? Could it be the break pads rubbing against the rotor somehow? i looked under the car and notice there was NO sway bar link at all on the RIGHT side. I lifted the car up and the left wheel does have play in it, up and down and left to right, is this a wheel bearing, if so, should i also replace the hub as well? Thanks!

If the bearing is bad it will make noise on that side. If you have a lot of play I would just replace the hub and bearing complete. It does sound to me like a hub bearing friend.......like 90% sure if it has play. If the car dose not shut off when you turn just make noise sounds like bearing.

If the bearing is bad it will make noise on that side. If you have a lot of play I would just replace the hub and bearing complete. It does sound to me like a hub bearing friend.......like 90% sure if it has play. If the car dose not shut off when you turn just make noise sounds like bearing.

Yeah i was thinking it may be a bad wheel bearing, just wanted to get some opinions from others as well, thanks for the input!

when wheel bearings wear out they start to get play in them . if you have up and down and left to right then its the wheel bearing. some wheel bearings come with the hub if it doesn't i would change it.

when wheel bearings wear out they start to get play in them . if you have up and down and left to right then its the wheel bearing. some wheel bearings come with the hub if it doesn't i would change it.

Yeah i thought the same, i just ordered a hub and wheel bearing they come together. Thanks all for the help, ill report back and let you know if that is what it was

Dont forget to get a sway bar link also. Cheap assurance.

OP: Actually, feel free to completely forget the sway-bar end-link as this has zilch to do with your problem.

ps. "cheap assurance" is what you get from people like Jake, not from replacing parts that are probably fine

OP: Actually, feel free to completely forget the sway-bar end-link as this has zilch to do with your problem.

ps. "cheap assurance" is what you get from people like Jake, not from replacing parts that are probably fine

What what do you mean? i planned on putting a link in there anyway because the right front is missing one, the left front has one installed. Do you mean about the hub/ bearing?

If you're missing a sway-bar end-link (or one is simply broken), then, by all means, fix it. But this has zero to do with your wheel-bearing issue.

ps. the reason you yank on the wheel at 9 & 3 and then again at 12 & 6 is to distinguish between wheel-bearing and tie-rod problems; humming, however, is highly diagnostic on its own: wheel bearing or your passenger has forgotten the words to the song

yeah, i just ordered a hub and bearing assy, these just bolt on correct? Anyone know the correct torque spec for the hub nut?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back