The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

How to make a Hard UICP for your 1g.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I am very big on doing things myself so I decided to come up with a way to make a hard UICP for my car. I did not like the thought of paying $150-$200+ for something I could do for way less then that. It is a very simple process so no need to sweat it.
Please keep in mind this is for a 1g w/out ABS, if you have ABS, you could probably get away with just extending some of the lengths.

Things you will need:
1. 45* 2.5" bend-JC Whitney Item# ZX812930Y $9.99
2. 90* 2.5" bend-JC Whitney Item# ZX812953P $10.99
3. 1g BOV Flange- RRE $10.00(or flange to match your BOV)
4. 1g BOV Gasket- RRE $4.00(or gasket to match your BOV)
5. 2" piece of 1.5" pipe-RRE, came with the flange(for BOV)
6. Silicone Couplers or a High Pressure Hose(Your choice)
7. Dremel w/ a Cut-off Wheel for Metal(fiberglass reinforced is the best)

1st Step: Remove your stock pipe. Take one end of the 90* bend and put a coupler on it. Then take the 45* and attach it to the coupler(obviously in the shape that the UICP should be). Place it in the place of the stock pipe and see if you need to cut anything. Most likely you will, I just dont remember how much or in which places but it is pretty noticable where you need to cut. Just make sure the pipe will be level with your TB elbow and you should be good to go.

2nd Step: Take the 45* bend to someone who can weld and have them cut a hole in the pipe and weld in the 1.5" piece of pipe and the flange on. I took mine to an exhaust shop and they did it for $20.

3rd Step: Now you can paint it or have it powder coated.

Final Step: Put the pipe together and install and enjoy the looks of your new engine bay and most importantly, what you will gain from it.

Hope this helps someone whos on a budget or who just likes to do things on your own.

parts needed:

1. 1 2.5" pipe off (pic shown below) that was purchased off ebay. SEARCH: Mandrel bends and one should be easily found.
2. 2 2.5" couplers
3. 1 2.5"-1.75" reducer
4. 3 t-bolt clamps (can substitute regular hose clamps if you get beed's welded around the ends of your pipes when getting your bov flange welded on)
5. 1 bov flange of your choice.

alright here is the pipe i was talking about. it basically has the two bends you need to make your intercooler piping. that is a 45, and a 90 degree bend.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

cut your pipe in the places shown.

****NOT SHOWN****

at this point your gonna wanna get your bov flange welded on. hook it all up for a test point and figure out where you want it welded on. this is the point where you want to figure out if you want your "beeds" welded on the ends of the pipes...

DONE!!!!! reconnect all your pipes up again and enjoy your very cheap BUT very effective intercooler piping.

total cost....
mandrell bend 31.99 shipped (ebay)
couplers 21.49 shipped (found a deal on ebay so price will be diffrent from mine
t-bolt clamps 9.98 shipped (ebay)
welding 20.00 (this will depend on what kind of deal someone will give you)
total

Attachments

• IC PIPING 2.jpg
    IC PIPING 2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 8,103
Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back