The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

How much timing are you running with 9.0:1 pistons on pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIRDCLAWTSi

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 13, 2009
Danbury, Connecticut
I am running 9to1 pistons and can't run more than 13psi on 93. That's with 12* timing. I get audible detonation. Just curious how low of timing is safe on forged internals?

Have you verified base timing?

If you are just starting to tune it. Start at like 4-5* WOT and work your way up. With higher compression, you can't run as much timing as you normally would. Though, that seems pretty weird on a a little E316G..

Are you also sure you're not getting spark blowout? I've seen a lot of people that haven't had much experience with knock confuse the two.

Have you verified base timing?

If you are just starting to tune it. Start at like 4-5* WOT and work your way up. With higher compression, you can't run as much timing as you normally would. Though, that seems pretty weird on a a little E316G..

I'm running a 14b now, so peak timing at 4-5* then add as much as I can incrementally? Base timing is dead nuts 5*. I've read about guys running 18-20psi on pump with 18-22* timing. I am far from that. Just wasn't sure how low I could go. I don't think spark blow out is happening, but anything is possible

I'm running 9:1 pistons in my 98 with 20 psi from a evo3 big 16g. the only tuning I have is from is a safc2. With no problems.

I did have popping out the exhaust every time I went wide open that I thought was spark blow out. It was just running real ritch. My wide band was hitting 8-9 at full boost. Leaning it out totaly stopped it and its running fine now

I was running 18-19* on pump on my 18g at 24-25 psi.

What AFR are you running?

Whats your coolant temps?

Do you have a CAI?

IDK how people hear audible detonation on their car! With solid mounts, no BS, full 3" exhaust and 35 psi boost I can't hear anything besides spool, roar and rattle!

I was running 18-19* on pump on my 18g at 24-25 psi.

What AFR are you running?

Whats your coolant temps?

Do you have a CAI?

IDK how people hear audible detonation on their car! With solid mounts, no BS, full 3" exhaust and 35 psi boost I can't hear anything besides spool, roar and rattle!

No cai, I made a duct to put fresh air into the intake though. Have had afr from 10.5:1-11.5:1 no difference, 180* t-stat. Operating temp 199-206, wondering if my injectors are clogging up

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back