The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How did I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92talontsi

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2003
Fayetteville, North_Carolina
Wanted to get some opinions. I have a black 90 tsi. The paint is 20 years old. I bought a good polisher today and started wet sanding with 2000grit and then polishing. This is a pic of what I did today.
Personally I am happy with the outcome considering the 20yr old paint.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The pics do no justice.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

looks good you should put a before and after pic.

looks good you should put a before and after pic.

Yea im not done yet. I will take some pics of the doors tomorrow before I do them. Thanks for the approval guys.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Didn't realize I had so many door dings. O well little more done today.

Think its time for a paint job. Gonna repaint it black cherry.

sent from my evo.

What a big difference

Thanks. There is still more compound to be layed down. I need to pull the mirrors and take the rest of the spoilers off.
While I have them off im going to have them professionally painted.

sent from my evo.

Looks good from what I can see... .
But, I would be carefull with 20 year old clear coat.... and make sure not to take to it to hard...

Been doing this for years so I have a good feel when its time to stop.
While wet sanding as soon as I stop seeing orange peel and I know the clear is flat then it does not need to go any further.

I am only trying to get some more life out of it before I have it repainted.

sent from my evo.

Yeah, never know with some people LOL... Looks like you did a good job, Black isn't exactly forgiving either.

Should have taken some more, Before shots.

It looks very good, what compound are you using to polish after the 2000 grit?

You said that you have been doing this for years. Have you heard about dry ice to take out small dents? You take the ice and put it against the car, in a circular motion start working twards the center of the dent. It will get the metal so cold it will shrink. This allows the dent to pull its way out. It doesn't fix the dent completely but it should make it smaller.

You said that you have been doing this for years. Have you heard about dry ice to take out small dents? You take the ice and put it against the car, in a circular motion start working twards the center of the dent. It will get the metal so cold it will shrink. This allows the dent to pull its way out. It doesn't fix the dent completely but it should make it smaller.

Yea I have heard of that. I like to use the cans of compressed air turned upside down also.

But im taking care of the dents when it gets painted.

sent from my evo.

It looks tons better than my 12 year old paint. Mine was thoroughly neglected though. I'm an amateur at the detailing business, but figure it's as good of time as any to develop my skills. I'm just going to start with the unseen parts under the hood and work my way to the exterior. I ordered a Chicago electric rotary just a few minutes ago from Harbor Freight.

But overall yours looks great. I just second that there should have been more before pics. And btw.. white92talontsi? You know your cars black, right?

black, and black cherry are different. I agree though, came out real nice.

Hard to tell from the pics, but are you using the Portercable 7424?

Where are you getting circle sheets of 2000 grit? I can get them at the body shop I work at, but I'm not paying $56 for a HUGE roll of 2000 grit DA/orbital sand paper. Just looking for a few sheets and I can't find it anywhere local and our supplier won't sell them in small amounts.

Very nice, i like the fact im not the only one that has the spoiler off with holes in it. Where did you get the fine grit paper at? I am jealous of the fact you are able to go outside and do that to your car. Good work tho.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back