The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

HKS carbon-ti vs. Apexi N1 (2.5" vs 3")

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndilo21

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
void, New_York
Hey guys I am not sure what exhaust I should buy based on the set-up I will be running. I really like the look of the HKS carbon-ti but it is only 2.5" piping as compared to the Apexi N1 which has has 3" piping. I'm planning on buying a t04b v-trim from bullseye with all supprting mods and running aroun 350hp and I haven't really decided on internal or external wastegate. As for the pricing i can get an Apexi n1 for $490 shipped here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7954698824&category=33630) and the cheapest I found the HKS carbon ti is for $579 at hop-up (http://www.hopupracing.com/hkscaexecgsx.html) but i dont think that includes shipping. Do you think the .5" will make that much of a difference?
I'm up for any opinions on sound, style, worth....
Thanks.

Well the apexi is only cat-back, and for that price you can get a turbo back system from RNR. As far as the debate between 2.5/3 inch, if you're plan are 350whp, I'd go with full 3inch. I have a 2.5 downpipe and 3 inch catback from RNR and it sounds AMAZING, real deep. As for the HKS ti it didn't say if it was catback or not. Either way I couldn't spend 600 for half of an exhaust setup. Mine with a hi flow cat was 590 to the door.

Only downfall is that it takes a while to get, I had to wait 4 weeks, but it was sooooo worth it :thumb:

I would get a 3" system, nothing less.

I second the RNR recommendation, you can get a full turboback 3" setup for the same price of the apexi (well maybe like 10 bucks more :p ). I LOVE MY RNR!!!! :thumb:

i dont know 100%, but i'm never seen a hks system that is turbo-back. I agree w/ kgtalon about rnr. They do make a great piece, the only drawback is they used to be really slow at getting you a product this may have changed though. I actually prefer to have a system custom bent w/ a muffler attached(apexi, thermal whatever) I got mine completly done at a local place for 600+ the muffler. It was completly stainless so that was one hell of a deal. they also do aluminized for 350 + muffler. and its all turbo-back

Ndilo21, the HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust system piping is 75mm diameter (~2.953 inches) and the tip is 115mm (about 4.52 inches). I'm considering between the Apex'i N1 exhaust system and the HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust system. Does anyone have any sound clips for either system on their Eclipse? I heard the sound clip of the HKS one on a WRX.

I have the HKS Cf-Ti on my car.. i dont have a sound clip... but i'll see what i can do.. its really low and deep, and when you get on it and growls, and then deceleration has been known to make people's houses shape when i roll past haha.. its an awesome exhaust... but its spendy $$.. ive only seen one other car with it in person... and that was a 97-99 silver gsx with the center piece painted out like mine.... it was like my car's twin.. :dsm:

eclipseGSTud said:
Ndilo21, the HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust system piping is 75mm diameter (~2.953 inches) and the tip is 115mm (about 4.52 inches). I'm considering between the Apex'i N1 exhaust system and the HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust system. Does anyone have any sound clips for either system on their Eclipse? I heard the sound clip of the HKS one on a WRX.

He has a GS-T the piping on the carbon ti is only 60 MM for FWDs, you may be thinking of the AWD wich is 75 MM

I have the HKS Carbon-Ti catback, see my gallery.

It's not too loud to piss off the cops at cruising speeds, but when you floor it, it has a distinct growl and rumble. Resonance is at a minimum at deceleration, too.

Does anyone know why the GST version of the carbon-ti exhaust system has only 60mm piping? I like the look of the muffler, but I want to buy an exhaust system with 3" diameter piping. Notractiongst, thx for the correction. I was looking at the gsx version of the carbon-ti when I was on extremepsi's site.

eclipseGSTud said:
Does anyone know why the GST version of the carbon-ti exhaust system has only 60mm piping? I like the look of the muffler, but I want to buy an exhaust system with 3" diameter piping. Notractiongst, thx for the correction. I was looking at the gsx version of the carbon-ti when I was on extremepsi's site.

probably cause it goes up over the rear end and they dont want it to be crushed if your suspension hits it.

Just to give you a heads up.
The N1 is not a ligit 3in set up all the way(unless they've changed lately)
The piping is 3in.
It actually necks down to 2.5in inside the can to fit the silencer. It then expands back out to 3in by the time it exits the can.
I posted pics of this and an illustration a while back.
I do love the exhaust though. I have no complaints(other than that).

You will have no problem supporting that kind of horsepower with either exhaust.

JiveMasterT said:
probably cause it goes up over the rear end and they dont want it to be crushed if your suspension hits it.

My Thermal R&D is a true 3 inch it only necks down where it bolts to the stock cat but if you have a3 in downpipe you just cut the neck off and it goes under the axle it sounds very mean under boost but its also pretty loud at idle and cruising

The HKS starts out at around 2.25-2.5" where it bolts to the cat, then expands to 3". (AWD)

I absolutely love the sound of it, but it's rather pricey, and there are similar performing systems for less. Stainless Steel tubing, mine still looks brand new.

Having said that, it works just fine on my FP Big28. Price is the only real buzzkill, unless you are looking at making monster power, in which case you should go with a different setup (IMO).

Agent11br said:
I would get a 3" system, nothing less.

I second the RNR recommendation, you can get a full turboback 3" setup for the same price of the apexi (well maybe like 10 bucks more :p ). I LOVE MY RNR!!!! :thumb:

How long did it take for the RNR to get shipped to you?

can someone describe the RNR sound and the Apexi N1 sound

I like my N1.
I have a RRE down pipe, highflow cat and N1 cat back
The exhaust sounds great. It's deep but not obnoxious.
My friend has the same set up as mine except he has the Thermal.
The thermal has a nice sound but it's definitely louder than mine and resonates more in the cabin than mine.
I prefer mine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back