1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Help - transfer case dowels

Posted by dave_nz, Aug 11, 2020

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. dave_nz

dave_nz Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2012
    Oamaru, New Zealand
    Hi there,
    Just swapping out transmissions.

The new transmission I have has had the transfer case dowels removed. Can the transfer case be run without these dowels or do they help alignment under power. How important are they?

Here is a picture of the old transmission that I removed:

IMG_1227.jpg

I was able to spin the top one with vice grips but not able to remove it. You can see I've marred it. Going to get a small gas torch today and see if some heat helps. Can buy these from Japan but they will take 2 weeks to get here.

Are they really necessary?

Thanks.

91  1

1995 Mitsubishi Chariot Resort Runner GT
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Drag Race Build 1K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I would not run my car without these dowel pins. Not only do they ensure proper alignment but they share the twisting load carried along with the fasteners.

3. dave_nz

dave_nz Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2012
    Oamaru, New Zealand
    Thanks - I managed to find some dowels exactly the same from a hardware store, which was suprising. The mitsi part number is MF472405 which states a 10mm x 20mm dowel.

Gently tapped them in and good to go.

91  1

1995 Mitsubishi Chariot Resort Runner GT
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Drag Race Build 1K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · 2G DSM