The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Help me get it driveable!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus92

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 15, 2007
Woodstock, Illinois
I'm pretty sure I have all my mods in my profile but I'll list them here, also I've done alot of searching and if anything its left me more than confused. Alot of different opinions and thoughts on whats needed to support what.

I have a 92 TSi AWD 6/4 combo with evo3 16g, 2g exhaust mani, pr vented 02 housing, apex downpipe, magnaflow 3inch catback, pr fmic kit, 550 injectors, 2g mas with required intake accessories, safc(zeroed out for now) . not much else to add since gauges do not effect performance

Now I'm having hardcore spike/hold with the 16g to almost 20lbs. Apparently my port job was too little, thats the first thing on my list to fix. But meanwhile I'll explain what I want to do. I'm looking to run 18-20lbs on my setup without much worry. multiple people suggest maybe just a fuel pump+rewire and a tune and others suggest fp+bigger injectors+fpr+tune and any other variation possible. i work 3rd shift and spend alot of time these days sleeping and working so my time online is limited. id like to know what parts i need and a recommended place to get them from so i can run what i want. i know come january im looking into a new clutch+getting rid of the cyclone intake manifold along with a few other things. also debating maybe moving to 650's rather than the 550's for a safety net? also is there anything i can do for tuning besides the safc? i personally dont see the need for a dsm link because i wont be changing my setup much if at all because i have a 2004 mazda for a daily driver and this will be my weekend/summer car for messin around

Well...to start with you will need at least a larger fuel pump such as a walbro 190, and definitely rewire whatever fuel pump you get. You'll need this pump to fully support your 550s. If your looking to run say 20 psi on an evo 16g then youll probably be maxing out the 550s due to running them over 80% injector duty cycle, henceforth making you run lean which is not good. I would go with the 650s to be safe and if you run 650s then you will probably need the walbro 255 pump. Now if you get a 255 then your going to need a fuel pressure regulator because the 255 will overrun the stocker.

Note: 650s are the largest injectors that a safc can control.
As far as a place to get a pump, injectors, and a regulator check out the sponsored vendors on this site. Forced performance, slowboy racing and extreme psi are very popular and I personally have had good experiences with them all.:thumb:

First off... your boost spike would be due to having your MBC tapped into your BOV line (most likely that's how it's hooked up if your spiking). Boost creep is cured by porting. So... is your gauge spiking or creeping, because from your post I can't tell??

Secondly, a 190lph pump will keep up with 650 injectors no problem. Most people go with a 255 when they buy a pump because it's like $2 more for the 255. It'd be a good idea to get a AFPR whether or not you go with the 255 or stick with the 190, so getting one of those would be a wise investment (not required, but a good idea). I'm not too sure what your IDC's would be at when running 20psi... but I've heard of guys running 18lbs. on 550's all day long.

As for as tuning options go... you might want to look into getting your ECU chipped. That in combo with a datalogger (a must have!) and your AFC, you should be pretty much good to go.

...until your clutch takes a crap on you. :)

First off... your boost spike would be due to having your MBC tapped into your BOV line (most likely that's how it's hooked up if your spiking). Boost creep is cured by porting. So... is your gauge spiking or creeping, because from your post I can't tell??

Secondly, a 190lph pump will keep up with 650 injectors no problem. Most people go with a 255 when they buy a pump because it's like $2 more for the 255. It'd be a good idea to get a AFPR whether or not you go with the 255 or stick with the 190, so getting one of those would be a wise investment (not required, but a good idea). I'm not too sure what your IDC's would be at when running 20psi... but I've heard of guys running 18lbs. on 550's all day long.

As for as tuning options go... you might want to look into getting your ECU chipped. That in combo with a datalogger (a must have!) and your AFC, you should be pretty much good to go.

...until your clutch takes a crap on you. :)

Yeah i dont even have a boost controller. its because my friend who helped me port it insisted it was ported enough and i shouldnt spike. well with a full turboback exhaust mid throttle i can tell it opens @ 13-14 psi but if i mash the throttle it peaks and holds at almost 20lbs but thanks for the answers ill definately be looking into these options!

Yea... what your describing sounds to me like Creep, which, like you said, is cured by porting the hell out of your O2 housing and turbo hotside (especially the area around your wastegate flapper).

Goodluck! :thumb:

Yea... what your describing sounds to me like Creep, which, like you said, is cured by porting the hell out of your O2 housing and turbo hotside (especially the area around your wastegate flapper).

Goodluck! :thumb:

thanks! i SBR quoted me 75 bucks to send it to them have them port it + flapper upgrade and send it back so i think im going that route to make sure its done right this time and then ill be tackling the fuel upgrades as well

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back