The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Help, car won't start after porting Intake Manifold.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSIAWDTalon

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2002
Greensburg, Kentucky
Well, I got the big idea I would remove my Intake Manifold and port & polish it, while my DSM is in the garage taking up space untill I can get some new tires. Anyway, I was very thourough on marking everything I removed, to insure that everything went back into its appropriate place. Manifold came off fine, port & polish went without a hitch. When I went to put it back on, everything just fell into place. I thought "this went too easy, somethings wrong." I double checked all my hoses, everything is where it is supposed to be, but now the car wont crank. It just turns over, without hitting. I double checked my plug wires on the coil. Nothing seems to be out of place. I made a mark on my C.P.S. so I would get it back exactly as it was. I can't figure out whats up. Any ideas? Am I overlooking something easy? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Justin.

You must have somthing unpluged, or blew a mfi or ignition fuse, Pull a plug wire(only touch rubber part) and hold it near the end of your spark plug while someone turns the key, If it sparks and has a popping/clicking sound when you get near the tip of the plug then you have fire/spark, If you have spark then check and see if you have fuel, It has to be one of the two. Let us know. Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob, I am going to go over everything once I get home today. I kinda got frustrated last night, and just threw in the towel. I just wanted to check and see if any one had any insight. Thanks again, Justin.

O.K. I deserve the noob of the week award, I forgot that I unplugged the fuel pump to remove the fuel rail. Plugged it back up, car started after second try. Idle is a little ruff, and it keeps wanting to die, but I can work with that. Thanks again for the reply Bob, sometimes you look over the smallest stuff.

TSIAWDTalon said:
O.K. I deserve the noob of the week award, I forgot that I unplugged the fuel pump to remove the fuel rail. Plugged it back up, car started after second try. Idle is a little ruff, and it keeps wanting to die, but I can work with that. Thanks again for the reply Bob, sometimes you look over the smallest stuff.

Reset timing via timing light and reset the biss with the idle setting procedure.

Timing Setting- Ground only the firewall connection

Idle Setting-Ground the firewall connection and the Data link connector under dash.

This could happen to anybody. You just got caught up under the hood, thats all.

Yeah and its better than bugging everyone here for two weeks untill you get pissed that no one knows the answer.

Just curious, did you port the manifold so the ring is removed? If so, did you put the soft metal ring back in?

Someone posted a while back with this problem and it was a mess....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back