The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

HD Spa Hose Recirculation Tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This problem may seem very simple to those who are more experienced, but one of the most common issues to new DSM owners is the recirculation hose from the Diverter Valve (aka Blow Off Valve) back to the intake. Many times this hose is missing or blocked off to make the valve sound "cool", but this can cause many issues with how the engine runs due to these cars coming stock with a MAF Sensor before the turbocharger. Many people also run into issues with the stock recirculation hose when using aftermarket intercooler kits which can put the BOV in an odd spot. So as a cheap, effective, and stylish solution to the problem, this is how to use Spa Hose from Home Depot (or any other home improvement/do-it-yourself kind of store) to replace the stock tube.

Items needed:
1-2 ft. Blue "Spa Hose" from Home Depot (or similar store)
2x 1-1.5" hose clamps
A pair of pliers, channel locks, vice grips, etc.
A heat source of some kind (I used a propane torch, but even a hair dryer or BIC lighter will work)
Sharp knife or razor
Measuring device of some kind (purely optional)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So why Spa Hose? The answer is simple. It's flexible, can make tight radius bends without kinking, was made to handle much higher heat and pressure than it will ever see in your engine bay, and in my opinion looks much better than radiator hose or brass pipes (yes, I HAVE seen that before).

One thing you may notice right off the bat: The Spa Hose (even in it's largest available size from Home Depot) is too small for the port on your intake snorkel. As for the BOV it depends on what brand. It slipped right over my 1g BOV but needed some stretching to get over my Greddy RS.

So first things first, you need to cut the hose to the correct length. I simply eye-balled the length and cut accordingly.

The easiest way to cut this hose is to slice between the blue ribs about half way through. Then fold the hose over and finish the cut. The blue ribs are in a spiral so only cutting between these blue ribs will leave you with an accordion.

After that, you should have your length of hose.

Now, with your heat source, heat up the end of the tube. This will make it pliable so you can stretch it with your pliers, vice grips, or whatever your using.

(If yours shrinks in like this, you got it too hot. Holding a camera while you heat up the hose isn't a good idea.)

Now grab your pliers and stretch the end of the hose. Don't stretch it too hard or you may rip the thin black hose. Go slowly and stretch it evenly all around. It helps to have a bowl of cold water so you can rapidly cool the hose after stretching so that it retains it's shape. Reheat and stretch until it fits snugly over the recirculation fitting on your intake snorkel.

(If you take your time stretching and don't overheat the rubber, yours will not look as poorly shaped as mine. Again, holding a camera and making a tutorial doesn't yield good results.)

Once you can fit the hose over the recirculation fitting on the snorkel, make sure it is still the appropriate length to the BOV.

If so, remove the hose and stretch the other end the same way. Once the hose will fit on both fittings, clamp it down with your hose clamps. Now step back and admire your work!

In the end this cost me less than $15 for the hose and clamps. I've been using the same piece of hose for over a year with 3 different BOV's and 2 intercooler kits with zero issues. One other pro to this mod is that it can make the BOV sound louder and higher pitched. Coupled with a metal intake snorkel I imagine you would be able to hear that distinctive "Pshhhhh" from a mile away. So now you can recirculate your BOV, keep your car running healthy, and get that "cool" noise everybody likes.... for under $15!

Disclaimer- This mod is not for sound or aesthetics. I'm not promising your stock BOV will sound like an SSQV. I'm not promising you'll like the color blue. This is a nice alternative to using an ugly rubber hose or no hose at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! Been looking everywhere for a new hose and the stock one doesnt quite reach to the new intake

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back