The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Having boost problems after sbr tubular manifold w/ex. gate install!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgst95

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2004
Mobile, Alabama
i just installed the sbr tubular manifold with external gate,I have the agp 50 trim I bought it with the internal gate but decided to go external so I weld the wg flapper shut and install the manifold and wastegate. now the problem im having is that i can not get my boost to go over 13 psi! i have a joe p boost controller that worked fine before hand but now no matter what way i turn it it stays on 13psi, so maybe it could be the controller or maybe its the way the lines are ran if anybody can help me please feel free and another thing i know this is sometimes normal but my manifold glows fire red after gettin on it a few times ive seen my cast manifold glow before but nothing like this is this normal or is it signs of runnin to lean or rich?? :dsm:

The first place I would look is the wastegate spring. Do you know what pressure spring you're running? I believe there is a spring color guide in the RRE website. Tell us what you find and we'll help you from there. Also, I've seen several manifolds glow.

BigBoosh3712 said:
The first place I would look is the wastegate spring. Do you know what pressure spring you're running? I believe there is a spring color guide in the RRE website. Tell us what you find and we'll help you from there. Also, I've seen several manifolds glow.
its a .9 spring which is around 14 psi

where are you running the vaccum lines to the wastegate? which port? it could be you have it hooked up wrong right now, and its just running off the spring.

My feeling too is that you have the lines run incorrectly and are only running off the spring. I don't know exactically what .9 is but i do believe that is the 13lb spring. I know that the 13lb spring is green in color. Take off the lid and check. But watch when you take that last bolt holding the top down. It like to shoot off as soon as you undo it.

thanks guys i realize now about the vac. lines...but im still kinda iffy about the manifold glowing red along with the turbine housing under normal driving! would there be a reason why the manifold is getting this hot? or is it normal and i just never noticed it before because i had a stock manifold?

okay well i have a problem i just tried swapping around the lines. i did have a line going from the turbo to the bottom side of the bc (joe p) with it T'd off to another line running to the top nipple on the wastegate. and a line coming off the side of the bc to the side of the wastegate, but it would only run 13 psi, so i just took off the line that was T'd to the top nipple on the wastegate so now its just a line from the turbo to the bc and from the bc to the side nipple on the wg well i went for a test drive and the gate never opened and i hit 30 psi WTF?!!?!?

ok, you want a line running from a vaccum source to the mbc, then run a vaccum line from the mbc to the side port on the external wastegate

vr6chris said:
ok, you want a line running from a vaccum source to the mbc, then run a vaccum line from the mbc to the side port on the external wastegate

Uhh yeah what he said...also 30 psi cant be good. I bet it was one hell of a pull? be careful :sneaky:

redgst95 said:
okay well i have a problem i just tried swapping around the lines. i did have a line going from the turbo to the bottom side of the bc (joe p) with it T'd off to another line running to the top nipple on the wastegate. and a line coming off the side of the bc to the side of the wastegate, but it would only run 13 psi, so i just took off the line that was T'd to the top nipple on the wastegate so now its just a line from the turbo to the bc and from the bc to the side nipple on the wg well i went for a test drive and the gate never opened and i hit 30 psi WTF?!!?!?
What exactly is the bottom side? The T nipple or the nipple inline but opposite to the adjustment knob? Which way do you have the knob adjusted?

vr6chris said:
thats how i have it but the gate is not opening and its runnin like 30 psi so i guess its my bc nothing else i can think of

Do you have the boost controller set at its lowest setting?

I'm pretty sure the line from the turbo is supposed to go on the side port and the bottom one is supposed to go to the wastegate. In my case "side" means "parallel to the adjustment knob" and bottom means "perpendicular to the adjustment knob".

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/joep.htm It's for a 1G but whatever, a boost controller is a boost controller.

If you think about it, it makes sense. The pressure from the turbo enters the side, and will push the ball back against the spring until the air can start to escape through the bottom hole to the wastegate.

It's funny your having this problem. I just finished installing a FP 3065 with a Tial 44mm wastegate. My boost is also staying at 13 psi, I have the .9 spring as well, I thought that I had the lines mixed up so I switched them, same result (13psi) I have tried 3 boost controllers, Turbo xs, Hallman, and now just installed a new Hallman Evo controller and it still stays at 13 psi. I thought it might be that my bov was leaking so I tightened that, no fix. alirght whats going on with this shit :mad:

So yours stays at 13 psi all the time? What does it do if you disconnect the line from the wastegate? The boost should skyrocket. Do you have any boost leaks?

larsrya8 said:
So yours stays at 13 psi all the time? What does it do if you disconnect the line from the wastegate? The boost should skyrocket. Do you have any boost leaks?

If I disconnect the line from the wastegate my boost guage will go over 30. No I did a leak test before taking it out for the test drive. Anyone have the Hallman evo controller?
wondering how tight you tightend the little alan screw.

You should run your vac line as fallows: From boost source (either tee'd from bov or port on compressor housing) to port on bottom of boost controller (opposite of adjustment knob) And then vac line from side of boost controller to lower nipple (closest to manifold, not the top) of the wastegate. The top nipple on the wastegate should only be used in conjuction with an electronic boost controller. Since you are using an mbc, just leave the top nipple of the wg open to the atmosphere. Now, turn the adjustment of the mbc counter clockwise untill it is almost ready to fall apart. Test run and increase boost accordingly by turning adjustment knob clockwise.

This isnt an exact replica of what you have but you should be able to get the idea.
25683DSC00393.JPG

92awddsm said:
You should run your vac line as fallows: From boost source (either tee'd from bov or port on compressor housing) to port on bottom of boost controller (opposite of adjustment knob) And then vac line from side of boost controller to lower nipple (closest to manifold, not the top) of the wastegate. The top nipple on the wastegate should only be used in conjuction with an electronic boost controller. Since you are using an mbc, just leave the top nipple of the wg open to the atmosphere. Now, turn the adjustment of the mbc counter clockwise untill it is almost ready to fall apart. Test run and increase boost accordingly by turning adjustment knob clockwise.

This isnt an exact replica of what you have but you should be able to get the idea.
25683DSC00393.JPG

awsome. thanx i found a external wastegate incturction paper for the bc in the box. wow. anyway it works great thnx for the post up anyway. i hope it helped the other guys problem

thanx.
-Ben

akdsm said:
awsome. thanx i found a external wastegate incturction paper for the bc in the box. wow. anyway it works great thnx for the post up anyway. i hope it helped the other guys problem

thanx.
-Ben
i found my problem was the bc was bad, ditched the joe p and bought a turbosmart

Another helpfull trick is Never run actuators off the same vacuum source!! try and keep them seperate. not tee one to the other as they do work against each other!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back