The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Had a fire - repaint question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobPell

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2005
Richmond, Virginia
The rear 1/4 had some fire damage and needs repainting plus some plastic parts replaced.
But what about the underside of the fender, I expect that it needs to be protected or will just rust thru. Am I right about that or can it be protected with an undercoat spray?

If it were me, I'd sand it and paint it to be sure that it wouldn't rust, and then use the undercoating, as you said. But you may be able to get away with the undercoating.

Any time you have to replace body panels you should always repiant the inside of them prior to installation. In the case of fire damage repair, if the insdie of the metal surface was damaged by the fire then it needs to be 'treated' in some manor to prevent rust. If you can easily access it, sand, primer and paint the surface. If you can't get to the inside surface to do that you can you a chemical corrosion prohibitor that allows paint or under coating to be applied right over top.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back