The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1g Needs repaint

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackbirdOfPrey

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 4, 2003
Shiloh, IllinoisUS
My 1g talon need to be repainted badly due to disappearing clearcoat splotches and such (black color). Where should I get it repainted? I have looked at maaco's website, and they don't list prices. How much should I expect to spend? and is maaco a good bet? anyone have experience with them? thanks in advance

Hey man, where is Shiloh? im in naperville, about 35 minutes SW of the city.

Theres quite a few maaco's around here that do quality work.

I was going to get it repainted in Lisle. They quoted me a total of 1200.

That includes all body work (removing ALL dents, dings)
stripping, sanding, primer (the best prep package they offer)
the Supreme package (which is one of their higher packages)
and clearcoat.

So it was a pretty thorough, clean estimate.

To be perfectly honest, i wouldnt take my 1g anywhere else. Why spend 4000 to paint a car thats worth 1800?

Shiloh is near O'fallon and belleville, which is 15 miles east of st. louis on the IL side of the river. There is a local dsm club here(gatewaydsm), but none of them had repaints recently. I wasn't sure about maaco because you never know with the big chains of your gonna get jacked for big money, but i seriously need a repaint and i couldnt find any local shops (my friends dad has a body shop but doesn't do full body paint jobs.)

That sucks to be that far out in the middle of nowhere.

If you're closer to st louis, try there. I doubt you'd want to make a trip all the way out here.

You are 100% correct that you dont know what you'll get with the maaco paintjobs.

Some come out good. My local maaco does AWESOME work. Part of the reason that its been open for the last 15 years. Look at JdmAWD's car. That beautiful job was done by maaco.

Its a hit or miss though.

If I strip the car down to bare metal would that save me any cash, because 1200 is gonna be hard to come up with right now. It isn't in the middle of nowhere, its in the whole metro area, so its all good.

well I am a painter by trade.

I happen to also have first hand experiance with macco. I worked at "the top producing macco of canada". That lasted about a week until I quit. The reason why I quit was of the shit jobs they keep doing. Even there training videos are something to laugh at. It tell you to lightly scuff for a paint job and if you've sanded until the gloss is gone then you've gone too far. Well in the real world if you don't sand until the gloss is gone you with have lifting or peeling and poor adhesion problems. BUt if your clearcoat is peeling off they will need to charge you extra for the strippuing of the vehicle (which they don't always do) but if you are stuck on going to macco I suggest you strip it down untily ou have good paint. The base may be good. if not you'll have to go to bare metal. which is not always that good because you'l have to etch prime the car unless you want it to start rusting. then after etching it you need to prime it then sand it with at least 400 grit I recommmened 600 once all that is done bring it to maaco within1-2 days and just have them seal it then base clear. Do not let them sell you a single stage or urethane you will not acheive as much gloss or longetivity out of that. if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

always remember that you get what you pay for.... and I would consider a decent paint job to be around 2 grand.....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back