The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Guide to fixing that annoying screeching belt (It finally works!) [squeal]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdem69

Probationary Member
Sep 23, 2008
Laval, Quebec_Canada
Its been a good year (ever since i had to replace my engine) that my alternator/ac/powersteering belt made that anoying noise that all 2g dsm owners are very familiar with. Its happens when its cold outside and you start the car, it happens when you turn your lights on at night, when you use your vents in the car and when you do tight turns while parking.

The two big issues are the tensioner for the atlernator and the bolt that holds the tensioner in place. I sent my car to two garages and both told me that my pullys have to be aligned and that i would possibly have to change most of my pullys (typical for mechanics to make a simple fix a big issue)

How To Fix Your Belt (Atleast How I Fixed Mine)
First check if the belt is worn out. in most cases because the belt has been squeaking for so long, chances are that you will need to replace it. To replace it, you will need to jack up your car and loosen the bolt underneeth the altonator which is holding it in place. then play around with the tensioner on your alternator making sure that your are loosening it and not tightening. with a lot of patients and a bit of time because its so tight and awakward, you will be able to slip that old worn out belt and replace it with a bran new one.

Then check the bolt that goes from left to right through the tensioner. One of my issues was that this specific bolt would get loose very often so i purchased a new nut with a nylon linning in it so it would prevent it from getting loose again. It worked out beautifully.

Then compare the tension of your belt to the belt which is to the left of your alternator. Obviousily to adjust the tension for your belt loosen the nut and bolt that hold the tensioner in place (the one described above that goes from left to right) and then tighten your tensioner accordingly. I think that this is the problem with most of these mitsubishi's the altinator tensioner.

Finally im going to let many in on a little secret that my friend told me. There is no risk in this but just the same do it at your own risk because i dont want to be responcible for anyones actions. Take a wax candle and rub it on the inside of your belt gently so that you dont ruin any of the groovs. Your soposeto do this while the car is on (while the belt is in motion) but because it is so tight i would never suggest for anyone to do this, it is really too dangerous. also jack up the car on the drivers side if you have a gst or gsx, you will find the same belt underneeth (the one closest to the drivers side tire) and continue to rub your wax candle on it to cover as much surface as possible. Dont exagerate with the candle because you dont need to put that much just pass it through your belt 4 or 5 times max.

Once everything is checked and done properly it is almost guaranteed that your car will never sqeak again and trust me it is a hudge relief because it was driving me crazzy as it has been to many. I put it through a test last night driving on a pretty cold night with my lights and vents on while parallel parking and to my supprise i didnt hear a single noise from that belt. What a relief!!! i wish all thoes who attemt to finally fix their belts all the luck possible. Hopefully my tips will lead you to success.

About 5 years ago I had a 89 Beretta GT, 2.8L, 5spd and that car seriously hauled some balls. I started having a problem with the belt squealing no matter what I did. I even replaced the tensioner thinking it was wore out but it would always eventually start doing it again. I was at a family reunion and talking about the problem when my uncle suggested to take a bar of Dove soap and hold it on the serpentine side and let the belt rub against it to coat the belt. Well this eventually quieted the belt and it didn't squeal after that. Unfortunately hitting water puddles would splash some water up on the crank pulley and the belt would get wet and you could tell it wasn't getting a grip under acceleration and would be a problem until it dried again.

But good fix.

Thanks, I appreciate the nice replies. If you need any help along the way feel free to write back. I just came back from driving my car about 20 mins ago and it's really such a relief starting up my eclipse with no problems!

I just looked and Autozone has a spray that coats the belt and stops the squealing. It's called Belt Dressing.

yeah but thats the thing a bar of soap washes off and dissolves with water, wax doesnt. I've heard of so many techniques and tricks and ive tried all on my car. This is the first time that something actually worked for a while now. usually after 2 or 3 spins around the block no matter what i tried, it gives out.

Belt dressing is no good. I've been using it for the past 3 months just to make the car stop squeeling when i back out of my driveway. literally minuites later it begins to fade away and it slowly eats up the rubber of your belt (very similar to using WD-40) but most importantlty check your tensioner on your alternator and the tension of your belt compared to the one to the right of it.

It never washed off, it didn't start squealing again while I had the car. It would just lose grip when it got wet but it did work as long as it was dry. Go out and spray some water on your belt while it's running with the wax on it and see if it does it too, also if you happen to get oil, or antifreeze on there it will bead up on the belt and you will have nearly the same issue I was talking about with the soap/water. You'll have to use something like degreaser to clean it off or it will always slip under hard acceleration.

Im telling you guys its a problem with all the 2g eclipse's and talon's. The alternator tensioner moves by itself over time and screws it all up. you need to change that nut and bolt that holds the tensioner in place and fallow up on my guide.

And as far as the belt slipping, i didnt realize anything up untill now. I find that the alternator is more stable when the car is stopped. usually at night i useto find that the lights inside my car would dim when i would be stoped at a red light. last night i it was the way it was soposeto be.

That stuff is hit-or-miss. It worked for my buddy's Honda, but it doesn't do a thing for my 2G or my roomate's 2G.
Was a miss on my car too. :toobad:

Belt dressing is no good. I've been using it for the past 3 months just to make the car stop squeeling when i back out of my driveway. literally minuites later it begins to fade away and it slowly eats up the rubber of your belt (very similar to using WD-40) but most importantlty check your tensioner on your alternator and the tension of your belt compared to the one to the right of it.
Then it ate my belt and left me stranded on the side of a busy highway as it started to get dark. :mad:

I got stranded once in the ville without my cell phone. It kind of suck being a white kid walking through the ville to a gas station to make a call. Not to be racist but yea... it's not fun in gang banger land.

When you tighten the cross bolt on the tensioner bracket it tends to pull the head of the tensioner bolt up and nearly off of the end of the tensioner arm. I always push down hard on the head of the tensioner bolt while tightening the cross bolt to prevent that. I have never had a problem with my alternator belt loosening up or squealing.

I do like the candle wax idea though. The bar of soap trick has been around for a long time but I can see how it would cause problems if it gets wet. And I agree with the others, the belt dressing does not work well.

I don't like these band aid fixes it shouldn't have to be like this I believe there is more to it.

I don't like these band aid fixes it shouldn't have to be like this I believe there is more to it.
We're open to suggestion, if you have a better idea.

Many of us have tried it all (multiple dampeners, belts, alternators, tensions, etc...).

I'm not a fan of bandaid fixes, but if a bit of candle wax ceases that god-awful noise, then I'm grateful. :thumb:

You'll usually find that almost anything lightly applied to an accessory belt will quiet it down. A good, easy, cheap way to find out if it's a belt making noise is to just let some water drip onto its friction surface. It's also harmless if it turns out that's not the source of the sound. There's a stick lubricant called "Door-Ease" which I've always used on belts that have needed it.

Be especially careful when messing with a running DSM's accessory side- there's not only the universal danger in just being around drive belts -which will bite off a finger long before you feel it- but there's the additional threat that if it grabs you, the lack of clearance will wind up with inescapable mangling. No long sleeves, no jewelry, no watch.

hmm My friend gave me a Stick of Wax like that, thats meant for the belt and 1000 other things, He got it while working at Ford. It works, and yes I put it on while the belts in motion.
-Shane

Not for nothing but we had a lot of rain this weekend and my belt didnt screech once. thankgod i fixed this problem because i drove most of the time with my lights and defrosters (front and rear) on and for all those who have experienced this problem before you know how crazzy it can get in the rain with that belt. I am so glad that my problems fixed. I am also not a fan of quick fixes but in this case no matter what you must use this strategy.

We're open to suggestion, if you have a better idea.

I'm not a fan of bandaid fixes, but if a bit of candle wax ceases that god-awful noise, then I'm grateful. :thumb:
I know a little about power transimission belts ( the term for these belts) serpentines like a lot of tension.

Mind you my pulleys have 178k on them not a squeak out of the belts ( I just changed them btw non oem poly from advance auto).

Well for one there shouldn't be ANY grease dirt, rust or oil in serpentine grooves, use a nord lock washer on the the tension lock cross bolt now... stick a screw driver in between the PS and alt the pry back as hard and you can and lock that tension. Then turn the tension bolt to that point where it keeps that specific tension.

I really do mean clean those grooves weather it be degreaser/carb cleaner then steel brush/air fitting to blow debris clean off.

It SHOULD NOT squeak again and for added adhesion I do it on a new belt I buy stop squeak and let it soak on the grooves and install (once again make sure pulley grooves are CLEAN), because what stop squeak will do is for one it's increase its adhesion and it will coat the pulleys to keep mess from causing it to slip but it needs to be clean prior for it to do that.

Nord lock washers ( www.mcmastercarr.com )

The ps belt for 1g are a V belt they need little tension and they are very efficient I never have a problem with it.

Well, my most recent venture:

Brand new, out of the box Fluidampnr, brand new alternator, and brand new Mitsu belt. I even removed the pulleys from the water pump, and I thoroughly cleaned both of them with carb cleaner. It still squealed. I added tension, and it made no difference. I changed the belt to a Gatorback, and it got better, but the problem is still present.

I haven't tried this candle trick yet, because I haven't driven my car since before this thread was made. But I have every intention to try it the next time I get my car out of the garage.

PS - Too much tension will wear out the bearings in the alternator. As you increase tension, the alternator will present itself as a weak link long before the belt will.

Do you stick something in there and pry it back ? Yeah its clean but you do need tension that's what drives it, if you have slipping and your pulleys and belts are okay then you don't have enough tension it's just that simple I wouldn't put candle wax on pulleys. You're defeating the purpose.

My tension has been tight for a long time and I don't have a worn out alternator, I push my finger on the belt and if I can push the belt down to make it bend then it's enough if I can't that's too much.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back