The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

GSX with a odd knock around 3k RPMs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclpsed

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2002
Richmond_Va.
Here is the problem.. my GFs 1999 GSX with 80k(ish) miles has a knocking sound. when you drive the car under 3k in RPMs you dont hear anything.... it drives fine, up until you hit 3k+ you'll hear a loud knock, sometimes the knock wont be there but most of the time it is.... if you slam the clutch it stops. My friend said it could be bad gas, someone else said it was about to blow the motor. I dont know much about the 4g63 motor so im tuning to you guys as i dont wanna take it to a shop and get rippped off. anyone who can help me out? please contact me on AIM my name is eclpsed on there thanks much!!

PS if you want to hear it in person the car is in VA beach, VA. thanks!

email: [email protected]
AIM: eclpsed

Is the knocking say twice as fast as the motor's rpms?
If so, I'd bet its one of three balance shaft bearings about to seize in the engine and cause all sorts of havoc.
Sorry man, wish I could help but I'm on the West Coast.... Good Luck.

It could be anything, we'd need a better description. My car had a very similar problem and it was just as simple as an exhaust bolt being a bit loose so the downpipe was making a "knocking" noise.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back