The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

GS to gs-t build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projecteclipse2

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 18, 2009
330, Ohio
Well to start things off I have a 94 gs 2.0 nt that I want to convert to a gs-t.My plan is to get the car running straight so I can dd it and sell my jetta to have some extra cash. My only problem is that my time is limited due to work. I work 6 days a week so I can have some money for the build.

I plan on using a 7-bolt 4g63t and I plan on rebuilding the motor from ground up till she is done. I would use a 6-bolt but there aren't any unless I want to drive 2-3 hours a way. Once I find the motor I am tearing it down and getting my crank.

I am going with topline because I am a kid and I have to get what I can afford.The only thing I am unsure of is my rods, pistons and bearings.I know I want to go .002 over but I am undecided between je pistons and wiseco. And evo9, eagle, and crower rods. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am undecided on the what I want to do for the head/cams but I have time to decide on something.

My goal is to have a quick daily driver with between 350-400 hp that I can have room to work with If I want more hp.

The best part of the build is that I don't have to pay for any machining what so ever. I am going to Maplewood career center for auto service tech. and they have a class for machining and if you let them use your engine and you buy the parts they will do what ever you ask them to do for free as a project. And I also have the opportunity to use all of the equipment on my own car. Diagnostic, brake resurfacing machine, lifts, cherry picks, everything.

First pics of the car:
104_0065.jpg

104_0114.jpg

104_0063.jpg
104_0072.jpg
104_0069.jpg
104_0139.jpg

104_0150.jpg

The color im painting the car:
104_0193.jpg

hahah I will post them but they are nothing to look at honestly they are quite embaressing at the moment and i still have to find my block.
And next week I will get some more pics and work done on the three days im off. (I work 6 days a week 10-12 hours a day so I get done what I can)

If anyone can give me some advice on what setup to get for a 7-bolt I would be pumped.
Im making it a slow build so I can do it right and have some money saved up in case I need it but next paycheck I should get a block I found for 100 its a turbo 7 bolt and also I will order the topline crank.
Also I am getting my motor machined for free when I go back to school in september.
I am going to a career center for automotive service tech and I will take my block to the machining department for a class demonstration.

Sooo after looking for a harness for 2 months 19Eclipse90 was cool enough to get me a couple links and a part number and the harness was way more then I was hoping haha. I told my dad and he gave me two options that he thinks i should go with.
He said that once we sell the jetta he will hook lend me some money to get another car that actually runs and I can pay him back slowly or he can lend me the cash for the harness and I can finish my build.
Idk what to do haha I want to finish this build so much but i didnt even start it enough to get anything done.

how about just build the non turbo block and make it turbo ready. you will save money by not haveing to buy a 7 bolt and all the pieces necessary to swap to a 7 bolt.

thats what i did when i did my gs to gs-t conversion.

good luck and i dig the color.

theirs not much wiring involved. If your atatched to this car make it turbo. If the car has no meaning, ditch it for an already turbo one. Heres an old thread you can check over. Ive been involved in the conversion before as well. We used the NT block with turbo pistons and thats all it took.
http://iowaautoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3315

Why are you using forged rods and pistons for that type of horsepower? You cam make 400-450 on stock rods and pistons.

Sure the stock internals can handle that but what happens when I want more power. I have to yank the motor and rebuild it. I think it would be easier doing it this way so it is done right and I don't have to do it again.
And also I am setting it up so i can keep my nt motor so if I find a 2g awd shell that I am interested I can use my rebuilt motor in it and slam the nt motor back in the 1g and dd it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back