The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Grinding starter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdoshi9

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2003
colorado spring, Colorado
So i just got a 97 gs-t. It has the 6bolt swap with 2g fwd auto tranny. Used the kiggly swap plate to do it. Those things i can see have been done. Other than that i dont know what is going on. I need help with the starter grinding , but still turns motor over. (not good) it deff is slipping off the flexplate. I have replaced the starter with the fwd starter and still the same. No wear on flexplate or bendix. I split the engine and trans to see if the dowels are there and things are tight. Same issue.

Are the awd flex plates the same?
Could that be the issue?
Is it the 7bolt plate?
Wrong starter plate?

There is alot of info on the manual trans but not much on the auto. Im only guessing that the auto vs manual info is close to the same so im thinking something isnt right there. But where to start looking?

Nobody has any suggestions?

I don't know much about swaps but are you using a 6 bolt starter or 7 bolt?

7bolt. Original one in the car... But i did get a new one for it too. Sa,e outcome

Same part numbers so i dont know?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back