The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

GReddy Type-R BOV

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM Stang-Eater

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2003
san_jose_california
I was readin an article about the greddy type-r bov and it said u shouldnt run it unless ur have at least 15 psi to take advatage of this bov. what would happen if u ran it at lets say 13-14psi and had a chill psi of around 9-10psi on a dual stage mbc. does noise change? will it still work? will it leak boost?

this is the bov ill be running on my car...although it wont see anything under 15psi...and i doubt ill go that low much anyways

its not good for under 15psi because with the stiff spring the valve wont open and you will likely get some compressor surge

Originally posted by FourG63 97GST
so when you run under 16psi does the bov not open becuase the spring is so stiff?
doesn't sound like a good setup for the street, since you wont alway get full boost

It depends on what spring you run. With the soft spring it won’t release under 15 psi. It really is meant for huge turbos in order to prevent the bov from leaking under high boost pressure. For a daily driver it would be okay but you wouldn't be able to run lower than 15 psi on their soft spring. My Tial wastgate won't allow me to run less than 16 psi anyway that's why I'm at 16 not 15 for a minimum. BTW this bov is HUGE!

There is absolutely no need for a type r BOV on a street car. Go with the Greddy Type-S and enjoy. When you decide you want to go with a 20G and boost 20 PSI all the time go for a type R. Just for an Idea, My friend has a Supra TT with the Greddy Turbo upgrade and runs a type s on the streets. It is a very capable BOV!

I was running the softest spring turn down the most at 6lbs no surge, no leaks. But internet hype/trash flows rapid :) Most people use the type s for smaller boost/flow apps though.

Originally posted by AndyFL
I was running the softest spring turn down the most at 6lbs no surge, no leaks. But internet hype/trash flows rapid :) Most people use the type s for smaller boost/flow apps though.

thats not internet hype...the type r just isnt designed for low boost applications...if you going to get the low spring might as well get the type s anyways

I think I might try this bov. Anyone else use it? I am gonna use the standard spring not the stiff one. I would like to see how big it is. Just showing a picture of it doesnt help. How about mounted in someones engine bay?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back