The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Good material for replacing lower timing gasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barra

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2003
Salem, Oregon
The lower plastic timing belt cover has a rubber gasket that gets hard and brittle over time. Mine is missing random chunks. Has anyone found a decent replacement for this? I could go the route of just buying an whole new OEM cover but for now on this motor I'm hoping to just get a decent rubber seal in there as the actual plastic cover is fine. I though of using the rubber strip used to hold window screen mesh in the frame but it is somewhat square in cross section and the original gasket has a more rectangular cross section.

Have you verified that Mitsubishi doesn't sell just the gasket? if they dont then I would just fill it about half way up with Permatex ultra grey and let it cure for several days, that should do the trick and then just bolt it up after its dry, that is after removing all of the stock hardened rubber thats in there, if its hard its not doing anything anyway.

I don't believe it, they still have the 90-92 gaskets in stock as well. Never would have expected that. I just ordered, we'll see if they actually arrive.

*EDIT* Nevermind, just got an email stating it is discontinued and order is being refunded. I'll have to look and see if the 2G gasket is still available and if I can make it work.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back