The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Turbo J pipe gasket material

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wouldn't use it paper would be best. As the whole reason for a gasket is to crush and fill the voids in uneven surfaces. If the surfaces were perfectly flat and clean no gasket would be necessary. Since your trying to crush and fill the voids in aluminum with aluminum it doesn't work well. Now I know there's going to be a lot of people who disagree with me like always and yes it can work but I don't personally li ke it. They always seem to leak without something else like rtv applied which should be unnecessary for a proper gasket.
I recently built a guys talon for him and he supplied me with a mls j pipe gasket that probably would have been fine if not for the pos j pipe with weld bead in the way of the bolt head which ruined the clamping force of the bolt. I made one out of a roll of gasket paper and had no issues after that and using a carbide bit to smooth out what I could of the weld.

I had a leak on my old 18g at the j-pipe and I used a file to get both surfaces as flat as possible. Strangely, both the turbo and j-pipe weren't flat. Anyways, I put grey rtv and a paper gasket there and never looked back.

Get a Sheet of viton rubber off Amazon. I use them for TB gaskets. Just use an exacto knife to trace the paper gasket and I put a socket in my press to punch out bolt holes.

The OEM gasket is the best one to use for that. Make sure both the compressor cover and jpipe flange surfaces are flat and that gasket is best because you can reuse it and it has a embossed seal. RTV PITA, Paper bad idea.

Thanks Aaron!! I’ll keep that in mind. Bought felpro gasket sheet today and installed it. Still have a couple of things to finish up and then do blt and wet compression test tomorrow and then finally fire her up. It’s been over a week since I drove her.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back