The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

G4cs and 4g63 balance shafts interchange?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschlanglv

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2008
Duluth, Minnesota
I'm building a 2.4 with hopes of having a complete short block ready when the time comes. Can I reuse the 2.4 balance shafts with a 6bolt front case/oil pump and the 2.4 block?
All other 4g63 components will be reused.

Thanks!

Yes all 6 bolt parts swap over. I've done this myself. Except I did not retain balance shafts.

Short block is together with the 2.4 bs and 4g63 front case, no problems. For some reason I recall seeing a post about an interference issue, but I haven't found it.

bump, anyone running balance shafts in their g4cs? which shafts did you use?
The 4G63 and g4cs shafts are different. I've also noted that the sprocket from the 2.4L and the 2.0L are different, different number of teeth, tooth spacing, and overall width. the sprocket from the oil pump of the G4CS is also different than the 4g63 6-bolt sprocket. with all these differences I'm afraid that using balance shafts might be a problem and might be detrimental to the NVH harmonics effecting my butt and the rest of the drivetrain.

I've run several G4CS setups in the past with mixed results( all have had the BSE kit. The main issue was shifting at 7K+. after replacing EVERYTHING, i noticed that my clutch discs would always have chunks missing which could either be driving style or due to increased NVH harmonics found in the 2.4L. I'm hoping with this latest build, running balance shafts, i can eliminate enough NVH harmonics to allow proper shifting.

Last edited:
I build a lot of motors and always retain balance shafts. I like a smooth running engine. The stock 4g64 balance shafts are tuned to cancel out 100mm stroke and some pretty hefty pistons. aftermarket pistons can be 150grams lighter than stockers. the 4g64 shafts actually over correct. the balance shafts job is to create a vibration which is opposite in phase with the vibration the crank and pistons create. wen you lighten the pistons that much less balance shaft weight is needed. the 4g63 shafts would likely work great weight wise but they dont have cutouts to clear the longer stroke. evo 8 shafts do have the cutouts and that is what i use in my 100mm builds with lighter pistons. I figure the 8 shafts are likely 20% less of whats needed. and the 4g64 shafts are 20% too much. fluidampr highly recommended and really smooths things out over a good stock damper.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back