The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fun with tubular manifolds

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmxunderground

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2007
Bowling Green, Kentucky
I had too many problems with my SFP manifold and turbo setup in general so I decided to try tubular. I got a great deal on a used OBX which i'm almost done fabbing to work. On my way however I picked up some other manifolds I thought I might try to hack and fit, here are my fun findings.

420a manifold, 4g63 manifold for internal gated turbo, and honda B18 manifold on bottom
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The Honda manifold wasn't even close so no dice, the aftermarket manifold for the 4g63 however, possible. The ports were not lined up well for the 4g63 even though it was a bolt on item, they were off by as much as 5mm, they were however, a perfect match for the 420a ports. The manifold itself fit snug with room to spare not touching any of the components around it unlike even the OBX which is supposed to be bolt on. The bad, to bolt up the 4g63 oem parts would require removal of A/C and relocation of power steering. An adapter could be made however for it to still do a custom setup, much like the one I had to make for even the obx. (pics at bottom) It by no means is some great cheap solution but for those with access to a TIG or even a MIG welder, might have fun with this idea. I'll be posting the manifold up for sale or trade this week in classifieds im sure so who knows, someone might bring it to life.

You can see my custom relocation unit here, couldn't bolt on the wastegate without dropping the turbo so this was my brain child.

Good stuff bro. You fabbed that yourself, the relocation flange?

yep, I can't say its any amazing piece, just a few T3 flanges and 2.5 inch pipe formed into a rectangle, but it works. Made a few measurments and voila.

yep, I can't say its any amazing piece, just a few T3 flanges and 2.5 inch pipe formed into a rectangle, but it works. Made a few measurments and voila.

came out good though, seems like it did.

looks good. Ive been looking into that tubular manifold but heard of the wastegate problem. Looks like you solved it.:thumb:

If you can get one for cheap, it will make the fabwork tolerable. I'm also welding an extension onto the thermostat housing so the hose isn't so close to that side pipe. I'll have pics in a few days. Also, if I ditched the A/C the downpipe would be a breeze. Decided to keep A/C though so its a little tight, but workable. Again, I'll have pics tomorrow most likely.

Good deal, i ditched AC in my car so that wouldn't be an issue for me. How much clearance do you have with the tstat housing and the manifold?

i'll see what i can find for a used manifold.

Last edited:
honestly there is like no clearance. The second runner actually touches my radiator hose. I've heard some peoples had like 2mm clearance but I didn't really like that idea. I cut the Tstat neck off and re aimed it to the left and have thermal wrap around it, the silver kind.

I'll show pics of that as well when I get things together.

I'm hoping all of this work will deliver results as found in this test: http://www.full-race.com/articles/Bseriestest_writeup.pdf

my previous manifold looked like the one they had, and my obx is constructed similar to the one they used showing the new gains via only a manifold swap. Guess we'll see soon.

Your setup is quite sick my friend. I was one day late on buying that manifold you have but got snatched out from under me, so I went this route. I just can't wait to get things going so I can contribute video and as much info as possible.

At any rate, V bands didn't come in today, on day 11 waiting.. heres what I have for the downpipe so far.

Your setup is quite sick my friend. I was one day late on buying that manifold you have but got snatched out from under me, so I went this route. I just can't wait to get things going so I can contribute video and as much info as possible.

At any rate, V bands didn't come in today, on day 11 waiting.. heres what I have for the downpipe so far.

Is that 3? btw thanks man.. I still havent heard of anyone really making power with it.. I am gonna get rid of it I think I found a sick tube mani....GL with yours dude.. extreme psi has a nice vband kit btw .. next day shipping for east coast riders to

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, its full 3 inch, thats why I had to "pie piece" the tight bend up near the turbo. In hindsight, a small 2.5 bend could have made a prettier transition but I'm already done so...

Also, If this project hadn't already broken the bank for me, I would have bought your manifold in a second! I like the clean factory look, and to be honest, I'm not really too concerned with the power output. I just want a fun setup with as little restriction as possible.

boosted, what are you wanting to get out of the mani?

well, I only had about 900.00 to replace my manifold, wastegate and downpipe. I priced bolt on manifolds and I couldn't get my car back together if I bought one with cash. Since I have access to a friends shop with a tig welder, I decided to save some money by trying to weld a 420a flange to a close matching used tubular manifold. I had the Bseries in the shop already so I tried to see if it was close enough, it wasn't. Then I ran up on the OBX deal at the same time I acquired the 4g63 manifold (parts trade), and abandoned the thought.

Now I just have to find a way to get the hood to close with that big ass manifold.... looks like I'm gonna have another lump in the hood :ohdamn:

another little photo, the waterpump housing redirect, not welded yet.

Last edited:
ok i see you are having some problems with the obx manifold. i was one of the first to test and try that manifold out and this is what i cam up with. yes the runners hit the water outlet so is what i did was take another flange and put it between the head and the manifold. it brought it out far enough so it would not hit. also you are having problems with your wast gate location there are a few solutions to this. one you could turn the turbo around like a 4g63 set up thats what i did. you see that what they designed this manifold for all they did was weld a 420a flange on to it. 2nd you have a tig welder so why not just cut the 90 degree bend and turn it 180 degrees to the side of your exhaust out so its not hitting the compressor housing. take a look at some of my pics i ran this set up for 3 years before making my own turbo system.

Well, I wanted to keep all things in their stock location, I also wanted to do things in a way that would be most cost effective for people who might want to copy the setup.

Since I lowered the turbo with my custom flange adapter, I have no fit issues with the wastegate, turbo, or downpipe. My wastegate recirculation pipe is ugly however since it had to cross back over to the left.

Should have everything welded up and put back on by tomorrow night to show off :thumb:

clean setup there to man... how much hp you make on that manifold tho

dont know never had it put on the dyno but with a turbonetics 60a/r and .68 exhaust housing on 17psi i would walk a 400 crank hp ZO6 corvette

Well, I wanted to keep all things in their stock location, I also wanted to do things in a way that would be most cost effective for people who might want to copy the setup.

Since I lowered the turbo with my custom flange adapter, I have no fit issues with the wastegate, turbo, or downpipe. My wastegate recirculation pipe is ugly however since it had to cross back over to the left.

Should have everything welded up and put back on by tomorrow night to show off :thumb:

that what i was talking about when i said cut the wastgate tube and turn it 180 degrees. it would be a lot cleaner.

my wastegate would touch the radiator hose if I remember correctly, so I left it as is. I don't mind ugly though, I'm just trying to get the performance, and drivabilty! LOL, tired of my car being down.

Couldn't get the welding done today, moving things into the new shop. Maybe by tomorrow night. I'm ready to get boosting again!!

I still wanna hear a 420a with an open DUMP... I ran my hahn s16g open downpipe one day because the downpipe clamp loosened right whatev and omfg... Sounded so good I was in SHOCK

i have a open wastegate on mine. star manifold t3/t04e. running vband i can't fit a dump tube. it sounds bad ass when it opens up it sounds loud. i can hear it over everything else. LOL 22 psi.

Looks great!

I always wondered about the clearance issues w/a 4g63 manifold. I've matched my sons tubular manifold up to my 420a's. The spacing was really close but the primary tube diameter was larger on the 4g. I thought if you cut the flange off the 4g's tubular manifold and left 3/8-1/2 in. stub on a 420a tubular manifolds flange and welded them together it would provide an anti-reversion feature on the new manifold. Any thoughts?

got everything together runs nicely. I have a few more things to work out before I upload the pics, but all is good. The ONLY disappointment, is that because of the design of the manifold, I was forced to use an invader hood. I really wanted to keep the stock appearance. oh well, pics in day or so.

also, portfueler seems to have taken a crap after only 2000 miles :sosad:

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back