The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

fuel pump help needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

210 dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2007
san antonio, Texas
ok heres my situation, im looking into upgrading my fuel pump and i found a pump that performs well and is very cheap ,but i need some information on it before i actually buy it. the issue is our cars normaly utilize a turbine type fuel pump and the pump im interested in is a rollervane type. so other then that the new pump is in every way a direct fit. FYI its a Airtex pump that i can get for 90 bucks on my employee account at O'Reilly Auto Parts. and a one year warranty :D. this thing flows up to 70 gallon per hour. the part number is E8248 and can be viewed on the Airtex web page.
so basically all i need to know is there any down sides to using a rollervane style pump? i honestly dont know the difference in a turbine and rollervane but thats why im asking. is it not even something that matters?

its going to be between this one or a 93-98 supra pump for like 280 bucks (up to 95 Gallon per hour).

ok heres my situation, im looking into upgrading my fuel pump and i found a pump that performs well and is very cheap ,but i need some information on it before i actually buy it. the issue is our cars normaly utilize a turbine type fuel pump and the pump im interested in is a rollervane type. so other then that the new pump is in every way a direct fit. FYI its a Airtex pump that i can get for 90 bucks on my employee account at O'Reilly Auto Parts. and a one year warranty :D. this thing flows up to 70 gallon per hour. the part number is E8248 and can be viewed on the Airtex web page.
so basically all i need to know is there any down sides to using a rollervane style pump? i honestly dont know the difference in a turbine and rollervane but thats why im asking. is it not even something that matters?

its going to be between this one or a 93-98 supra pump for like 280 bucks (up to 95 Gallon per hour).

Why re-invent the wheel? Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: DSM :: Fuel :: Fuel Pumps :: Walbro $99.00 done and done

As mentioned above... why bother?

You can easily find a used good working walbro 190lph/255lph for $40-$50 shipped in the classifieds..

Thats what i did long ago ;)

Sorry wasnt much help on answering your question between the two pumps but hopefully someone will chime in (id like to know as well)

From what i heard the turbine pumps are quieter than the rollervane type. The Walbro is a rollervane type. I don't know any other differences.

Their website lists 60-70 gph and 110-120 psi pressures, but does not give a flow chart or anything of the sort. If you can verify that it actually delivers 60-70 gph at 110-120 psi of total fuel pressure, then this would deliver ungodly amounts of fuel at the ~60, 70, 80 psi we run.

im out to find all the possible reasons why im not getting power to the fuel pump?. here are some things ive already tested and can eliminate from the list of things it can be: ignition switch was replaced with a new one(i dident however mount it on the steering column i just plug it up to the harness, if that matters). MPI relay was changed with a used but good relay. fuel pump was tested outside the tank via direct battery power. no fuel pressure. i took the line off the top of my fuel filter and tried to see if fuel would come out as i tried starting it ,but no dice.:sosad:...im just not getting any power to the pump.

the car was driving fine before i parked it. i parked it to install new cam seals and oil pump seal because of oil leakage, witch went just fine ,but as i put everything back together im not getting any fuel???:confused:.
heres the thing though, i did pull the pump out while it was sitting because i was going to put a better one in but ended up not replacing it. so everything was put back just the way it was. other then that, nothing about fuel was messed with while i did the seals. so i dont know how it could just stop feeding fuel. so instead of me guessing anymore i need to find out what it takes for the car to send the 12 volts to the pump so i can test each one and check em off the list. please give me any good information that you can. my car is depending on you:)

p.s. i just when out and bought a multi meter so give somthing to test with that

i HAVE NOT tested the pump form the service connector on the firewall yet though. nor the ECU ,but i have a ECU from a 91 gsx. i dont know if the two ECU'S are the same if so ill swap em out and check if that works

i was reading up on changing my ecu out with a 1991 model and found that you have to change a few wires(for the tach) and the power transistor out from a 91-94. on the article i found though , it says the power transistor on a 90 has 6 wires and a 91-94 has 8 wires. but i went outside and checked my two cars(90 and 91 gsx's) and my 90 has 5 wires and my 91 has 7.???? i dont know what to think.

anyway can i just swap the two ecu's without rewiring anything. its not going to be permanent i just want to see if my car will turn on. then that will tell me that my 90' ecu is fried.

Put power to the test connector see if it turns on! I would not worry about swaping ecu just yet!

no, the pump DID turn on while i tested it outside the tank ,but i meant i dident hear anything while it was all put together inside the tank.

i recently opened up my ecu to see if i noticed anything out of the norm an i found a little burn hole that go's through the chip right to the other side, its right underneath a little cylinder thing. it kinda looks like a mini water tower ,but i dont know what it is. can anybody provide a picture of what a leaking capasitor looks like?

If you didn't hear your fuel pump running while connecting it directly to battery than you have a bad pump. Testing the pump outside the tank will not get you any fuel pressure.

sorry i dont mean to confuse you. i fail to elaborate sometimes. the pump is good. im sure of that. theres something blocking power to the pump though somewhere between the ignition switch and the pump itself. but like i said i think i found something wrong wit my ECU judging by it's physical condition. small, small long cracks. small traces of some sort of liquid residue. and again i would like to see some pictures of leaking capacitors if possible.

i might be picking up a used ecu from a 90' talon AWD tomorrow for $225 so ill post my progress.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back