The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fuel Cut: What is it? How do I fix it? [merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slanted J

Supporting VIP
Feb 19, 2002
Janesville, Wisconsin
All fuel cut threads are combined here.

I've tried doing a search but to no avail.

I was just wondering what Fuel Cut is. I've heard it tossed around alot, but do not actually know the details behind it. And, naturally, I can gather that its when the fuel is cut off, but when and why.

Thanx,
Jon

I really dont think it is a problem with our MBC but im gonna try what THEDUKE just told me..... i will let u know what happens

thanks
Kevin

does it ever end?!?!? now my car makes a weird noise at idle and it sounds like it is coming from the power steering pulley or pump or something in that area so i havent driven it down the road.... my luck the crank pulley would break off or something.

Anybody know what this might be?

Kevin

Check your harmonic balancer. you will have to loosen your belts to make shure. Its bad for coming apart in two pieces.

Originally posted by THEDUKE
Check your harmonic balancer. you will have to loosen your belts to make shure. Its bad for coming apart in two pieces.

Will i need a new one if this is the case?

Ok i Looked at the Pulley while it was runing.... if it is the balancer wouldnt it be wobbeling or something like that?..... it also idles really low now that it is making this noise...... And the name of this noise is "Gobbling" i have decided......like a Turkey GOBBLE noise almost.... freaking weird!!

It is idling aroun 700 when cold , when it starts to warm up it idles around 500...... ANY more info or help?

Thanks
Kevin

You have to take the belts loose to check this.My car made a noise for about a month & then the balancer just came apart.I guess you have not got to see if your boost creep is fixed.Let us know what happens.

Well i tried to start it up and the battery was dead... at this point i was thinking the altenator was bad and was producing the noise..... so i jump it off and walk around behind the car to find out i had left the hatch popped :rolleyes: .... what a dumbass i am.... anyways i decided i was goin to bump the idle up and see what happens.

I bumbed it up to around 950-1000 still cold ..... still making noise but not as loud!! I went inside for about 5 minutes and come back out and it is idling about 1400-1500..... I bump it back down to 850 and NO NOISE!?!?

WTF? so i drive it around and have no problems other than still boost creeping... Next morning i crank it up and its idling low same noise so i go inside let it warm up come back out and its idling about 850 with no noise....I thought cars idled high till they warm up???
this is weird!!!

as for the creeping im ordering a 34mm wastegate flapper today!

thanks for your help,
Kevin

OK. I keep getting fuel cut. I dont like it, can anyone tell me whats going on, or how to stop it. My car is stock, and I dont want to mod until i get everything in good order.

I thought awd's didn't get fuel cut. Or maybe 1gs do. Didn't it have to do with the rating of the tires that came out of the factory. The fwd's didn't have zr rated tires so they put fuel cut at 135mph.

that is a speed limiter, not fuel cut. I am no expert and fuel cut and am still learning otherwise I would post a response. Sorry bigjason

Originally posted by Slappster
I thought awd's didn't get fuel cut. Or maybe 1gs do. Didn't it have to do with the rating of the tires that came out of the factory. The fwd's didn't have zr rated tires so they put fuel cut at 135mph.

what does the drivetrain have to do with the amount of fuel/air going into the engine?:confused: or the tire rating? im gussing your confusing fuel cut with a speed limiter......

bigjasoni, are you sure your hitting fuel cut? it feels like a brick wall. small stuttering is more then likely something else. try reading this to better understand fuelcut http://members.shaw.ca/costall/ECUprimer/ECU_ch7.html

also, if thats the case, time to upgrade the fuel system..altoguh i dont see why thatwould occur in a stock car........:confused:

Originally posted by bigjasoni
OK. I keep getting fuel cut. I dont like it, can anyone tell me whats going on, or how to stop it. My car is stock, and I dont want to mod until i get everything in good order.

Are you sure it's fuel cut? Not just breaking up at hi rpm's. Could be a boost leak.The MAS may be reading more air than your engine is getting. Could also be your plugs/wires.

yeh...I've never heard of fuel cut on a stock car...my car gets fuel cut...but I getting to be fairly highly modded

yeh...I've never heard of fuel cut on a stock car...my car gets fuel cut...but I getting to be fairly highly modded

You should only experience fuel cut when you are forcing more air into the MAS than the stock set up can provide fuel for. Unless you have modified your intake and turned up the boost you are probably experiencing something else.

Alright guys, I have a 92 GST w/ dejon intake pipe, modded maf,k-n,2.5 turbo back exhaust, accel wires,and BPRES plugs(NGK one range colder plugs), and modded Boost Solenoid. Everytime I punch at about 6000 rpms I hit fuel cut and I let go of the gas for a second or two and the car runs fine, this happens in every gear as soon as I get to 6000rpms. Anyone have an idea why?It never did it when I had the stock exhaust, when I took the downpipe it also did it but at 45000rpms. If anyone have any ideas let me know.
Thanks
Miguel

OK Im still trying to fogure it out. Im having different problems now. Now the clutch screaches when I push it in, and last night I was on the interstate, and I couldnt shift. Had to stop the car put it in gear then start again. Weird.

Originally posted by bigjasoni
OK Im still trying to fogure it out. Im having different problems now. Now the clutch screaches when I push it in, and last night I was on the interstate, and I couldnt shift. Had to stop the car put it in gear then start again. Weird.
TO Bearing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back