The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

fuel cut after MAFT install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMcamaro

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 25, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Bought a bunch of new parts (MAFT, CFDF clutch, removed all emissions, dodge mod)during the winter and just finally got clutch broke in enough to the point where I felt safe taking it for a nice Pull. Before I got the translator my FTRL was way lean- 139.8%. So right now with the idle setting on the translator richened to 6(30%), my FTRL is 127.3% mid is at 1(5%) and WOT is at 0(FTRM=99.2%, FTH=100%). I'm running stock 450 injectors and my Aux is 0 and my base is 2. I did two second gear pulls and both times my car basically almost shut off right around 5000RPM's. I'm not sure if its fuel cut or what. Maybe a boost leak could cause this? I think their might of also been a pop kind of noise right about the time I lose power but im not to sure. (I know it wasnt a coupler blowing of or anything cause i checked them) I did a boost leak a while back and took care of anything major but I'll probably do one again when I get a chance. Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks.

DSMcamaro said:
Bought a bunch of new parts (MAFT, CFDF clutch, removed all emissions, dodge mod)during the winter and just finally got clutch broke in enough to the point where I felt safe taking it for a nice Pull. Before I got the translator my FTRL was way lean- 139.8%. So right now with the idle setting on the translator richened to 6(30%), my FTRL is 127.3% mid is at 1(5%) and WOT is at 0(FTRM=99.2%, FTH=100%). I'm running stock 450 injectors and my Aux is 0 and my base is 2. I did two second gear pulls and both times my car basically almost shut off right around 5000RPM's. I'm not sure if its fuel cut or what. Maybe a boost leak could cause this? I think their might of also been a pop kind of noise right about the time I lose power but im not to sure. (I know it wasnt a coupler blowing of or anything cause i checked them) I did a boost leak a while back and took care of anything major but I'll probably do one again when I get a chance. Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks.

It's always a good idea to boost leak test after messing with the intercooler piping at all. I had similar problems when I ripped a coupler and couldn't see it visually so I figured nothing was wrong:nono: .

alex99gst said:
It's always a good idea to boost leak test after messing with the intercooler piping at all. I had similar problems when I ripped a coupler and couldn't see it visually so I figured nothing was wrong:nono: .
So your boost leak caused your car to cut out at high RPM's?

ok, you've called in the expert in getting the "air shaft" and hitting fuel cut ever 20 seconds.

where is your maf located? (intake pipe or uicp?)

blow thur- UICP. probably 5 or 6" away from the throttle body elbow.

DSMcamaro said:
blow thur- UICP. probably 5 or 6" away from the throttle body elbow.
that, my friend, is your problem. you see, the stock mass air flow sensor has an intake air sensor. this sensor alters the amount of fuel that your ecu injects into your cylinders. the gm maf sensor does NOT have this intake air sensor, so the maft simulates an intake air temp of some pre determined temperature. this temperature is not accurate. this is one theory behind why you have to richen your idle a lot, and lean out your wot a lot. (thats a hint right there for you, lean it out.) what I did was look at my o2 sensor on wot pulls. it was at .93 after subtracting 25% or something like that, its now at .83, don't follow my numbers exactly as each o2 sensor is different, but lean it out til you get some light knock. this is what I did, and now I only get knock when under heavy load for long times (3rd gear pulls starting at low rpms such as 2500)

no matter what causes it, the predetermined settings for the maft are flat out wrong when you use the sensor in blow through. my idle is -25% and my mid is +5% and my wot is something north of -20%

So basically cold weather could be a factor aswell? since its a whole 40 degrees out right now. Thanks for the help, I'll try leaning out the WOT knob tomorrow and see what happens.

Leaning it out helped. I was able to get up too 6500 in second anyways. I'll still have to try more later.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back