The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Front hub questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK9er

Proven Member
Jun 1, 2014
lincoln, Nebraska
Hey everyone, I have a question about my front hubs. I knew it was gonna be a slow day at work so I brought my hubs in to replace the bearings on them. I am wrist deep into fixing up my car (just had my trans rebuilt by Jacks, and having a local shop over haul my engine with some upgraded stuff). So, since everything is out at the moment, i am going through the front end. I was able to clean them up and blast them before putting in new bearings. One of the bearings was obviously shot, the other seemed in good condition. After getting everything back together one of the hubs still has a little play in it. I tried pressing on them more to see if it might of not been seated, but it was good. It just doesn't seem right. The one that is "loose", was the same one that seemed bad before. I can also tell that it looks newer than the other one, which tells me it is likely to be an aftermarket piece. So, is there any way that this will tighten up once installed? Or is the whole hub bad? Luckily I do have a parts car I could pull one off of if needed. I am including pictures. They don't show the wiggle, just the stages of me cleaning and priming them. Just something to look at : )
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey everyone, I have a question about my front hubs. I knew it was gonna be a slow day at work so I brought my hubs in to replace the bearings on them. I am wrist deep into fixing up my car (just had my trans rebuilt by Jacks, and having a local shop over haul my engine with some upgraded stuff). So, since everything is out at the moment, i am going through the front end. I was able to clean them up and blast them before putting in new bearings. One of the bearings was obviously shot, the other seemed in good condition. After getting everything back together one of the hubs still has a little play in it. I tried pressing on them more to see if it might of not been seated, but it was good. It just doesn't seem right. The one that is "loose", was the same one that seemed bad before. I can also tell that it looks newer than the other one, which tells me it is likely to be an aftermarket piece. So, is there any way that this will tighten up once installed? Or is the whole hub bad? Luckily I do have a parts car I could pull one off of if needed. I am including pictures. They don't show the wiggle, just the stages of me cleaning and priming them. Just something to look at : )
wish i was home i could go to the garage and check for you..will be home wednesday
...replaced the bearings and seals in mine ...sandblasted and painted them also...mine didn't have any play afterward ..they can only shoulder out also the seals seem to keep everything tight ...u can feel a little drag when rotating ...u mean axial (thrust) play right? ...i followed the how to guide on this site to change ...u have the backing plates? ..here are some pics of mine :)

Hey, thanks for the reply. I think I have a bad hub. It looks like one of the races some how spun on the hub itself leaving it worn down... I will just have to get the one off the parts car. I didn't know there was a how to on here. I'll have to look at it. I feel that the one without any play is really stiff... kind of concerns me, but I don't know what else i could of done. This isn't my first hub job, but my first DSM hub job. On a lighter note. I did get my new clutch and injectors today!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back