1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Forge bov, reviews?

Posted by daren_p, Oct 19, 2005

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 22, 2004
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Well I'm looking at getting one of the Forge Recirculating bov's (1g flanged) & I just wanted to get some reviews from guys that are running this. I know there are a couple guys on here that have them but there's not much info here on the site. So I thought I'd start a post since as there seems to be some interest with these bov's.

3K  18

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.370 @ 119.800 · 2G DSM
  2. kanderson111

kanderson111 Proven Member

Joined Mar 12, 2005
    El Dorado, Kansas
    I have received mine, but unfortunately I'm still installing my intercooler and haven't got to try it out yet. I can say that it looks beautiful and it did come with the extra springs.

I think your best bet would be to PM sweet97 I think he has actually used his Forge BOV.

3. Mackzero

Mackzero Proven Member

Joined Jan 2, 2004
    Moses Lake, Washington
    Forge makes a very good product. There are countless guys in the VW 1.8T world running their Diverter Valves, and they work awesome. I have ran one in the past on one of my vehicles and it worked perfect for a couple years.

4. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 22, 2004
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Yes so far all I've heard about them has been good, just didn't have any real reviews from dsm'ers, how well they work at low/high boost, how loud they are etc. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick one up over the winter to install in the spring when the car comes out of storage :thumb:

Here's a link for anyone wanting to take a closer look.

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0006&product=FMDVECL102

3K  18

5. CanadianTSi

CanadianTSi DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 12, 2002
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Been running mine all year, looks and works great.

Holds 24 psi no problem.

My only complaint is that blowing off at anything under 10psi you get this high pitched whistle, presumably because the spring is really tight and only allowing the valve to open a tiny bit. Not really a problem just a little annoyance.

835  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.880 @ 120.910 · 2G DSM
  6. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 22, 2004
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Do you have the adjusting kit with different springs & shims? Have you tried any other combos?

3K  18

7. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 22, 2004
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Well I just ordered one of these units up, so hopefully it will get here before the car goes into storage for the winter & I will have a review :thumb:

3K  18

8. talon96tsi

talon96tsi Proven Member

Joined Feb 16, 2003
    Westminster, Maryland
    my moms greddy type s does the same thing.

9. danielbui

danielbui Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2003
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    YOUR MOM'S? WOW! my mom's craziest thing is knitting.............unmatched colors in sequence

10. joeracer321

joeracer321 Proven Member

Joined Aug 27, 2004
    Lancaster, California
    I can't praise Forge Motorsports products enough. Every one of their products is of the highest quality and function. Their BOV's work well and come with a spring and shim kit to set it up exactly to your combination. Also their new MBC blows everything else that is out there completely away! I highly recommend anyone thinking or needing a BOV or MBC to take a serious look at the Forge product line. If you would like any more info, hit me up or talk to Louis at Forge. They are a very knolledgable and friendly bunch of guys :thumb:

11. talon96tsi

talon96tsi Proven Member

Joined Feb 16, 2003
    Westminster, Maryland
    yup, me my mom and my brother all have dsms, all awd too. :talon:

12. danielbui

danielbui Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2003
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    wow thats family bonding at its best.

13. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 22, 2004
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Well I thought I'd update this thread. I received my Forge BOV, the unit looks great and the quality seems very good as well. I've attached a few pics of the unit, it has a completely different designed compared to the 1g and has no problem holding 20 psi without any leaks. The unit came with 4 springs & shims to adjust it for your desired boost level. Compared to the 1g it sounds louder and has more of a pssst sound whereas the 1g is more of a woosh. I had issues with it not releasing properly above ~10 psi, seems to release in three bursts instead of the normal 1. I wasn't able to solve the problem but it was only on the car a couple days before I had to put it into storage. Im pretty sure its something simple like haveing to relube the piston but I won't know for sure until the spring.

Attached Files:

3K  18

14. joeracer321

joeracer321 Proven Member

Joined Aug 27, 2004
    Lancaster, California
    I'm glad that you were happy with the valve. Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with! :thumb:

15. Car Cannibal

Car Cannibal Proven Member

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have had one for a while and for the money $170 its top notch.

The only issue was that running 26psi needed the red spring along with 3 shims to stop opening up under WOT.

It recently just opened up on me at 4500 coming out of the hole racing an SRT4 so its possible that it needs another shim to stay completely shut at that psi level and load.

Other than that, its a great piece and super easy to adjust. :thumb:

16. PropXprt

PropXprt Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2002
    Springfield, Illinois
    I just ordered one as well. Went thru two 1g bov's and they both leaked above 15psi no matter how far I crushed them. After this I'll be ready to dyno tune this little pig.

294  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  17. CanadianTSi

CanadianTSi DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 12, 2002
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    I was Wondering when people were going to catch on to this, been rocking mine for over a year now :thumb:

835  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  18. PropXprt

PropXprt Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2002
    Springfield, Illinois
    Well I just wanted to give you all a update. Have had the bov for a while now and it works great. Definitely a nice piece.

294  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  19. doug

doug Proven Member

Joined Mar 9, 2002
    Anybody having problems with it surging/fluttering after it's been adjusted? My SSQV flutter annoys me sometimes and I've been pointed toward the Forge BOV.

645  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    automatic · 2G DSM
  20. PropXprt

PropXprt Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2002
    Springfield, Illinois
    Mine flutters a little sometimes if I'm not on it to hard, if I go full boost is doesn't (18lbs.)

294  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  21. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 22, 2004
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Do you have setup to recirculate or are you venting?

3K  18

22. sweet97

sweet97 Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2004
    auburn, New York
    I tried both the recirculating version and the atmospheric venting version and could not get either to NOT surge. Much worse with the tighter spring, red I believe. Gotta give the guys at Forge credit for trying hard to get me a version to work and they are beautiful pieces. I am running a large turbo so that could be past of the reason, I had to go to a TIAL to get a BOV to hold and not surge with light throttle. I would recommend it with any turbo, 50 trim and smaller. Mark

23. sweet97

sweet97 Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2004
    auburn, New York
    I tried both the recirculating version and the atmospheric venting version and could not get either to NOT surge. Much worse with the tighter spring, red I believe. Gotta give the guys at Forge credit for trying hard to get me a version to work and they are beautiful pieces. I am running a large turbo so that could be part of the reason, I had to go to a TIAL to get a BOV to hold and not surge with light throttle. I would recommend it with any turbo, 50 trim and smaller. Mark

24. CanadianTSi

CanadianTSi DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 12, 2002
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Works fine with my 50 trim at 24psi, I had surge issues but that turn out to be my Boost Controller.

835  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  25. prostreetdsmx1

prostreetdsmx1 Proven Member

Joined Sep 29, 2002
    Altamonte, Florida
    we have been using Forge on damn near every evo that comes in here and we can't say enough about it. The UNOS MBC, the RS BOV and the basic recir valve are amazing. The also have an upgrade actuator for the 2g's that have a t25/t28 and it works amazing.

550  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.100 @ 104.100 · 2G DSM