The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

For all Spyder owners.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asking if anyone here has done it... with good pictures.....and if anyone has braved the talon sideskirt/door thing......thanks for the effort of posting the google pic....any idiot can look on google...I've looked there first as any person with common sense does

Asking if anyone here has done it... with good pictures.....and if anyone has braved the talon sideskirt/door thing......thanks for the effort of posting the google pic....any idiot can look on google...I've looked there first as any person with common sense does

I should add smilies more often. Meant nothing friend :)

i revived it because i still havent seen anyone put up specs of it or didnt see the finished version of what was built by xojaycavox..also i am very interested in the conversion . now that andrew brilliant has his converted i thought i could bring the topic back up ..not for nothing but hes the motivation of the conversion...

Has anyone ever thought of just a soft top like a Jeep. Ya know one the just snaps on??! Then you could remove the original top as stated earlier in the thread and still be able to keep it in the trunk if it decides to rain!

I was thinking, just take like a bed sheet and stretch it from corner to corner. That way you have a template of what youd need for materials. Make a slightly smaller final project so you have to stretch it to snap into place and it looks nice and smooth! You would most likely need at least a roll bar just for a little added protection!

I actually thought about doing this back when I had my spyder. I do plan on getting another spyder so maybe one day i'd be interested. But for mine, it'd be more for a racing application to reduse the weight, but still offer protection. Especially at tracks where they don't want convertables running with the top down.

I actually thought about doing this back when I had my spyder. I do plan on getting another spyder so maybe one day i'd be interested. But for mine, it'd be more for a racing application to reduse the weight, but still offer protection. Especially at tracks where they don't want convertables running with the top down.

Thats what Im gonna be going for this fall.. Im doing an all wheel swap and will be looking for some way to reduce some weight. What better way then to remove the whole soft top!! :hellyeah: I also thought about the track too since Id be going quite frequently. Ill have to see what theyll accept!!

I was thinking, build a 6 pt cage and have the rear two beams kind of contour the old shape of the top. That way, when the other top is made it kind of would follow the OE lines.

a top like that would be badass. at least itll keep the rain out and look good.

Google produced this in 0.35 seconds.......

Didi anybody norice the big huge spoiler on the silver 2g next to this Talon.

I would like to see a CF top on a Talon like that. That would be sick. :hellyeah:

Andrew Brilliant made a top for his Spyder...you can find pics of it somewhere online.

Hate too pull up an old thread i did some testing with fiberglass hard tops in a wind tunnel i have at work at 135mph it began to flex then cracked all the way through, i can get my hands on a-lot of aluminum im going to buy a block and have a custom roll put in side the car to latch the roof to, i will send pics of the design, it also will not be for daily drivers who dont want the hassle of a thin aluminum top with roll bars to support it.

1.Fiber Glass to weak
2.Carbon Fiber can be costly and has to be perfect.
3. Aluminum cheap metal easy to bend and mold.

Hate too pull up an old thread i did some testing with fiberglass hard tops in a wind tunnel i have at work at 135mph it began to flex then cracked all the way through, i can get my hands on a-lot of aluminum im going to buy a block and have a custom roll put in side the car to latch the roof to, i will send pics of the design, it also will not be for daily drivers who dont want the hassle of a thin aluminum top with roll bars to support it.

1.Fiber Glass to weak
2.Carbon Fiber can be costly and has to be perfect.
3. Aluminum cheap metal easy to bend and mold.

I'm in no way trying to insult you at all with your research, but honestly, who's gonna be running 135+ mph on a normal basis? Fiverglass would be the best material to use for those who simply want a removable hardtop for their daily drivers. If you're really gonna be driving 135+ mph, then the metal would be fine, but its not for everyone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back