1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Flywheel or starter

Posted by Zpyder96, Jan 16, 2021

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. Zpyder96

Zpyder96 Probationary Member

Joined Jan 15, 2021
    Waipahu, Hawaii
    Can anyone help me figure out what’s the solution on flywheel issue. Not sure if the issue is mainly the flywheel or maybe starter or something. When starting the vehicle sometimes it start right away, but sometimes starter is not catching the flywheel to crank. I bought the flywheel recently and the mechanic says that the flywheel is smaller diameter and barely engaging to the starter. Flywheel was bought for it’s car specifications. So I’m not sure what’s going on. Can anyone help me on this?

2. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    are you sure you bought the right flywheel? i'm pretty sure the awd flywheel is smaller diameter than the fwd flywheel.

DSMPT and luv2rallye like this.
  3. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    What car do you have? Please create a profile.

Street Build 4K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    steve and DSMPT like this.
  4. XC92

XC92 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Queens, New York
    Yep, you've given very few specifics, e.g. generation, FWD or AWD, OEM or AM starter & flywheel, age & miles, etc.

385  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    DSMPT likes this.
  5. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    There are also two different starters, a long nose starter and a short nose starter, you could have the short one and need the long one, also parts stores application books are ALL wrong, you need to make sure personally that you have the right one.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM