The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

FLUSH YOUR BRAKES!!! then bleed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

this site has some how-to's for bleeding but nowhere can i find a flushing how-to...

So after you read this i guarantee your gonna go straight to the store and buy some brake fluid and perform this task, if you dont you really dont love your car.

Tools:
8mm wrench
1 foot or so of a rubber line
cup

Other stuff:
DOT-3 or 4 brake fluid. i bought the gallon, and used about half.

Ok let me suggest buying new bleeder screws to replace the old ones, reason is as you FLUSH all the oil, dirt, grime, particles, trash and junk from your lines all this will clog your bleeder screw if not clogged already, so do your self a favor and replace these, they are 2 bucks each at autozone.

First step:

there is a sequence when bleeding, and we will follow it for FLUSHING as well.

1st: RR
2nd: FL
3rd: RL
4th: FR

Fill your reservoir and go back to the caliper and completely remove the bleeder screw and start pumping your brake pedal until nothing comes out of bleeder screw hole from caliper.

pictures are from my 99 mirage, i did my talon before this and its exactly the same, but i didn't take any pictures, so i did it with my other car.

Attachments

• CIMG1200.JPG
    CIMG1200.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 543
this is why you remove the bleeder screw entirely, to prevent this stuff from clogging it.

notice how bad that fluid is too.

this pic was from 1 line only, the other 3 came out worst and it almost looked like caramelized coca cola.

(remember that coke bottle you forgot in your room last 6 months??? thats what it looked like with all 4 combined)

Attachments

• CIMG1196.JPG
    CIMG1196.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 529
now as your friend keeps on pumping the brake pedal ensure that at all times there is fluid in the reservoir to prevent any air coming in from the top.

once the fluid starts coming out clean and clear, you may screw in your new bleeder screw, tighten but dont bleed it yet. go to the next caliper and do the same on the remaining 3.

Attachments

• CIMG1202.JPG
    CIMG1202.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 426
now after all four lines has been FLUSHED you may start your bleeding.

(in sequence)

loosen the bleeder screw just enough to see fluid coming out the valve, then hookup your hose and have your friend pump while you:

-hold a cup with clean fluid
-have the hose in the fluid from the cup to prevent air bubbles intruding back into the lines.

keep pumping untill clean fluid is coming out and no bubbles are present then retighten the bleeder screw, this is what a clean reservoir looks like!!!

IMPROVES Greatly Braking and responsiveness.

and you just performed a 100 dollar job from a shop.

Attachments

• CIMG1203.JPG
    CIMG1203.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 507
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back