The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

First build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy to be here. I have a lot of work to do. Its is a 1991 Eagle Talon fwd 2.0. I wont to change it over to awd at some point

Welcome! I don’t want to say it to put you down, but awd converting a 1g is a FAR different ball game than a 2g. Where the similarities on the fwd and awd chassis make it mostly a bolt in affair with only minor welding being the most of the fabrication, a fwd 1g and awd 1g are pretty much entirely different underneath, meaning you’d have to find a solid 1g awd to pretty much cut most of the underside out of and cut the underside out of your fwd and well, you get it, big job and a lot of fabrication required, for someone experienced sure but even then most will tell you it’d never be worth it for what you can buy a usable awd shell for. The user here bastarddsm has done 2 of them, I think him and one other person have successfully done it, everyone else that’s tried ended up sending a cut up 1g to the shit yard. Even he will tell you it’s not worth it for even those with the capability.

Now don’t let that take away from enjoying the fwd, several of us prefer them. Cheaper drivetrain parts and less stuff to break being 2 of my big reasons, my car started life as a non turbo 2.0 1g and after working around them so long I have zero desire to ever own another AWD dsm. That’s just personal preference though.

Welcome! I don’t want to say it to put you down, but awd converting a 1g is a FAR different ball game than a 2g. Where the similarities on the fwd and awd chassis make it mostly a bolt in affair with only minor welding being the most of the fabrication, a fwd 1g and awd 1g are pretty much entirely different underneath, meaning you’d have to find a solid 1g awd to pretty much cut most of the underside out of and cut the underside out of your fwd and well, you get it, big job and a lot of fabrication required, for someone experienced sure but even then most will tell you it’d never be worth it for what you can buy a usable awd shell for. The user here bastarddsm has done 2 of them, I think him and one other person have successfully done it, everyone else that’s tried ended up sending a cut up 1g to the shit yard. Even he will tell you it’s not worth it for even those with the capability.

Now don’t let that take away from enjoying the fwd, several of us prefer them. Cheaper drivetrain parts and less stuff to break being 2 of my big reasons, my car started life as a non turbo 2.0 1g and after working around them so long I have zero desire to ever own another AWD dsm. That’s just personal preference though.
Well said. I think if you have the resources and are super willing to take the time to build this, do your thing brother. However, most people would just start hunting down an already AWD model instead. I can appreciate wanting to go all in on a conversion though.

Thank you both for the information. After looking around on here and some other places. I will be sticking with FWD. I do have the plains for a cold air intake a Intercooler a turbo and more. And I will be keeping A eye out for a AWD talon around the same year just some I can fix it up 100% to my liking from ground up

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back