The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fighting spark blowout

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
Ive been having trouble with missfires above 6k rpm lately. It feels like spark blowout so as of now thats what im assuming it is. So far i've dropped my gap down to .017 with a decent gap tool (not disk type), i've checked my coil pack and the resistance was within spec and I really dont know how to check plug wires but theyre about 6 months old and theyre not arcing at night. Ive tried bpr7's, br7's, brp6's, and im currently on br8es with no help. No boost leaks.

It really just kind of came on randomly. I dialed in my maf with the maf comp tool and I did a pull to dial in boost est and once I had it set I did another pull and it started. So obviously the first thing i did was reverse the mafcomp settings cause it pulled pretty damn good beforehand even though the maf was way off. That did nothing so I started diagnosing. My gap was originally at .23 which I have run 32 psi on this exact setup on with no problems. I have dropped it all the way down to .015 which helped a little but it was still there. Even though my coil pack was within spec I had 1 spare coil that I tried swapping out 1 at a time with the ones in the car which did nothing. I ran an extra ground off the battery since its in my trunk and only had 1 ground which also did nothing.

Even though my afr's were fine and my fuel seemed fine I soaked my injectors and fuel filter in carb cleaner and cleaned them out well which had no impact as I assumed it wouldnt..

Im open to any suggestions anyone has. Ill try and include a log (provided my browser will cooperate) but nothing looks out of the ordinary except my airflow is pretty low and you can see horsepower and torque die off rapidly.. Any help is appreciated. This is the exact same tune i was trapping 126ish at 29 psi 2 weeks ago and it feels absolutely terrible now...Thanks guys.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I tried dropping the gap down to .013 with no avail. It's a really consistent misfire. It is different in every gear but it's pretty predictable in each one. I'm actually leaning more toward the power transistor but I havent really heard much on them only missing at certain rpm's. Has anyone ever experienced these characteristics from a bad power transistor? I tightened my alternator bolt to ensure the belt wasn't slipping or anything and my log is showing 13+ volts in the misfire area so I'm assuming that the alternator can be ruled out . I'm still open to any suggestions. Thank you.

Tried swapping power transistor and coil pack. Problem still exists. At this point all that's left is plug wires and the ecu. I don't think it's plug wires, mine aren't even a year old and they don't arc or anything. I'm assuming my ecu is fine cause I had it repaired when I got link installed.

Tried lowering the boost to 16 psi. Diddnt help any so I thought maybe it would miss hen I free rev. Set rev limited to 6750 and revved without any issues so im assuming it has to be a cross between rpm and load.

Mechanically speaking, my car does have extremely low compression across the board. Like 120's and a 95. I'm well aware of the fact that it clearly needs a rebuild so no need to inform me. I don't see how low compression could cause a consistent misfire though. I considered valve springs but what are the chances of a spring suddenly losing it's strength between 2 pulls?

I'm still open to any suggestions.

Problem solved. Pulled valve cover and I apparently ran several thousand miles with a rocker off. Surprisingly the car ran fine on 15 valves it just misfired at wot. Felt like spark blowout to me!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back