The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Factory heat shield fit FP manifold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You could probably make it fit with some customization, but a blanket is probably the best way to go with the FP mani.

I have the heat shield from ExtremePSI, but the mounting bracket breaks every 6-8 weeks (daily driving), and with how much I've gone through (time × money) to replace it the 5+ times now, I can't say I recommend it for any application that is driven semi regularly. It works better for the less driven cars that go to meets/shows and want the engine bay to look sharper.

The blanket can be had for cheaper and will probably last around 3-4 years before it deteriorates enough to have to touch it. Just doesn't look as sexy when you pop the hood.

I would probably do a blanket if I was staying with the FP manifold. The shield itself was nice and still in great shape after 3 years, its just the little bracket that breaks and will have the shield vibrating on the manifold until you slap on another $8 bracket (reached a point where they sent me a bag of them to keep in my toolbox - at a low cost). I'm going to a different setup though.

My understanding is the factory heat shield does NOT fit an FP manifold, mainly due to the height of the Cylinder 1 runner, but there are aftermarket solutions. I don't have an FP manifold.. yet, but I do have a manifold blanket which fits the factory manifold and the FP manifold. It's a very clean look when it's new, but if you pull it off and put it back on a bunch, the coloring/coating wears off. Mine is coming up on 3 years old, and still works great at keeping the heat down in my engine bay. Definitely would recommend.

img_3974-jpg.606047

My understanding is the factory heat shield does NOT fit an FP manifold, mainly due to the height of the Cylinder 1 runner, but there are aftermarket solutions. I don't have an FP manifold.. yet, but I do have a manifold blanket which fits the factory manifold and the FP manifold. It's a very clean look when it's new, but if you pull it off and put it back on a bunch, the coloring/coating wears off. Mine is coming up on 3 years old, and still works great at keeping the heat down in my engine bay. Definitely would recommend.

+1
I’m mocking up my FP manifold/ 20G install now. Tossing the OEM shield and using a manifold blanket. ExtremePSI is selling one now in a shiny woven silvery fabric... it actually doesn’t look bad.

+1
I’m mocking up my FP manifold/ 20G install now. Tossing the OEM shield and using a manifold blanket. ExtremePSI is selling one now in a shiny woven silvery fabric... it actually doesn’t look bad.
You can purchase the manifold blanket directly from the person who makes them https://turbo-performance-products.myshopify.com/products/dsm-fp-manifold-blanket
You can “customize” the look of it too. I didn’t want the anchor points visible on the top of the manifold so they were put on the inside of the blanket on mine.

img_3974-jpg.606047

Yep, these are awesome. I could drive for hours doing hard pulls, pop the hood and literally touch the blanket with my hand. They work amazing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back