The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Externally gated 16g pictures (port work)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMxJB

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2009
Modesto, California
So I know there are countless 16g and 16g porting threads. There seems to be very few threads about porting for a 16g that will be running a external wastegate off the o2 housing and even less pictures. I was wondering if someone could post up some pictures of their 16g that is set up for a wastegate on the o2 housing. I want to get my punishment o2 housing and Tial wastegate on the car but I can't do so until this turbo is ready. I'm pretty sure I know what to port but I'd like to see photos so I have a mental picture of what I'm going for. Any help would be greatly appreciated especially photos. Thank you.

Are you porting to hold more boost or porting to reduce boost creep?

I want to eliminate boost creep. I already have a punishment mvs package(recirculated o2 housing, Tial 38mm). I also have a small 16g that's off the car ATM I just need to port it and everything can go on.

I'll provide a link but note that I fully recommend removing the hotside BEFORE porting. You will never be able to get out all those tiny shavings.:cool:

Here's a link to general port and polish work on a 14b, just do the same to the 16g:
How to port and polish a turbo exhaust housing - YouTube

The Hotside is already off the turbo :). See that's not really what I'm looking for. The general porting info is easy to find. I need to know what to do to set the turbo up for the external wastegate. How much do I port the wastegate hole?

Remove the flapper, weld the actuator lever hole shut, and port the wastegate hole as large as you feel safe making it without risking the structural strength of the housing. You generally want the hole to be close to the same size as your wastegate so there are no restrictions.

Concerning the porting above the wastegate hole:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Remove the flapper, weld the actuator lever hole shut, and port the wastegate hole as large as you feel safe making it without risking the structural strength of the housing. You generally want the hole to be close to the same size as your wastegate so there are no restrictions.

Concerning the porting above the wastegate hole:

Just what I was looking for. Awesome information and good picture. Thank you very much. I am also looking for pics of the wastegate hole if anybody has those.

So I cut off the door, welded the hole closed, and started porting. How does this look so far? Does the wastegate hole look big enough? I can drop the original door right through the new hole. I'm still working on the ridge.

Wastegate hole

Welded wastegate arm hole

Inlet

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345234837.143730.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345234837.143730.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that just getting rid of the flapper would be good enough for an external wastegate. Also, maybe the inlet can be rounded out a bit more?

What are you creeping up to for boost and why do you want less (stock injectors?)?

The turbo hasn't been on the car yet I just don't want it to creep and I already have a external set up that I'd like to use. Yeah stock fuel system ATM, I have a supra fuel pump, fuelab afpr, and a stm rewire but they're not installed and injectors are next on my list I just can't decide if I want 2150s or something a little smaller.

I would think that just getting rid of the flapper would be good enough for an external wastegate. Also, maybe the inlet can be rounded out a bit more?

it might, but since you don't need the seat for the flapper, you can get rid of a ton of material and for sure have the flow you need through the housing. I wish I'd measured the actual size of the hole I made, but alas, it was far too long ago and I'm not exactly going to take it apart now ;)

On my old talon (now my dad's car) there's an evo3 in a 6cm hotside that's mega ported and has an HKS 40mm on it, rock solid as low as the spring will let me go (1bar). It's actually a pretty entertaining little setup and boost comes on like a sledgehammer with the 2g pistons. :D

it might, but since you don't need the seat for the flapper, you can get rid of a ton of material and for sure have the flow you need through the housing. I wish I'd measured the actual size of the hole I made, but alas, it was far too long ago and I'm not exactly going to take it apart now ;)

On my old talon (now my dad's car) there's an evo3 in a 6cm hotside that's mega ported and has an HKS 40mm on it, rock solid as low as the spring will let me go (1bar). It's actually a pretty entertaining little setup and boost comes on like a sledgehammer with the 2g pistons. :D

Well I've already gotten rid of a lot of material where the flapper was LOL. No worries about the measurments I'm sure this one is fine. The porting is almost done just need to smooth it out a bit. Awesome! More pictures soon.

This is where it was yesterday.

How does this look? I think this should be good but I'd like a second opinion before I put it on the car. Thanks!

Here is the wastegate hole with the door to show how much bigger it is.

I am no expert on porting, I have done a couple of 7cm housings and o2 housings, but from what I can tell all the areas that look like they have imperfections, bumps almost like little hills, needs to be smoothed out. These areas will create hot spots.

It looked like you used a bit that did not cover much surface area, smaller carbide like on a dremel hand tool instead of a larger rotary tool like in the video above. I say this because I have used a dremel to port and it does create more imperfections due to the bit size. This is the port work I did with the dremel and carbide bit. No sanding yet. for example:

This is the same piece with sanding from a dremel: as you can tell its has sports that are uneven from the way the light bounces off those areas in the picture. Even though its smooth to the touch, it will create heat spot problems(cracking). You are looking for a smooth transition throughout the housing. This o2 housing has been corrected, I sanded it so there were no bumps.

The ported hole looks larger than any gaskets I have used, i could be wrong though. Did you port match to a specific gasket?

hope this helps

Attachments

• o2 housing port sand.jpg
    o2 housing port sand.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
I am no expert on porting, I have done a couple of 7cm housings and o2 housings, but from what I can tell all the areas that look like they have imperfections, bumps almost like little hills, needs to be smoothed out. These areas will create hot spots.

It looked like you used a bit that did not cover much surface area, smaller carbide like on a dremel hand tool instead of a larger rotary tool like in the video above. I say this because I have used a dremel to port and it does create more imperfections due to the bit size. This is the port work I did with the dremel and carbide bit. No sanding yet. for example:

This is the same piece with sanding from a dremel: as you can tell its has sports that are uneven from the way the light bounces off those areas in the picture. Even though its smooth to the touch, it will create heat sport problems. You are looking for a smooth transition throughout the housing. This o2 housing has been corrected, I sanded it so there were no bumps.

The ported hole looks larger than any gaskets I have used, i could be wrong though. Did you port match to a specific gasket?

hope this helps

These bumps(hills) you're talking about, what kind of problems would these heat spots cause? That hole is very close to my 7cm gasket that came with my fp manifold. The hole is bigger than the outlet on the manifold. Do you think I will have any problems with creep on my Tial with it ported like this or have I done enough?

Here's a picture with the gasket.

Did you also port your 2g manifold?

You should work a tad more on the top to port match it..And try cutting down those hills into well much smaller hills.

Although, I think your getting the hang out it for sure.

Did you also port your 2g manifold?

You should work a tad more on the top to port match it..And try cutting down those hills into well much smaller hills.

Although, I think your getting the hang out it for sure.

Well I'm not going to be using my 2g manifold. I have a FP race manifold going on with the turbo and I didn't want to touch that. Okay so round off the edges basically?

Well here it is. I hope it's okay and I don't get creep.

@DSMxJB Hey bud, reviving this but you never said how the port job ended up and whether it helped. I am currently doing the exact same to my E16G with a 40mm external gate on the O2 housing. I used to get creep up to 25 psi which was ridiculous. I don't know if I should completely remove the flapper seat or leave it with some meat on it. Here's some pics of my progress so far.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back