The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Exhaust help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djsniperwolf

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2011
Hemet, California
I haven’t driven my eclipse in a while and it’s been bothering me, so I’d like to finally resolve this.

I got my car back after a few years of not having it. Unfortunately the exhaust has been messed with. With the sound laws out here being enforced I want to make it as legal as possible.

For the noise, I will most likely just go with a varex muffler.

The down pipe is 3” and is straight piped to a 2.5” catback. I’ve searched for a 2.5” down pipe to no avail.

What I want to do is put a high flow cat on to eliminate the strong exhaust smell that is obvious and avoid not having a cat.

Would a 2.5” hi-flow cat be adequate between the 3” and 2.5” openings? I would go 3” but it would be glaringly obvious that it is 3”.

The down pipe is flanged and connects to the straight pipe. I will have to put in another flange on the output side of the cat/test pipe as I don’t like it being welded.

I do plan on going e85 once I quiet things down. Maybe that will help with the emissions smell?

any assistance is greatly appreciated as it has been sitting, and I don’t want to drive it with as loud as it is which would ultimately lead to other “issues.”

thanks.

Last edited:
My car has the stock DP to a 2.5 in and out glass pack in the middle and a magnaflow muffler on the back with a 2.5 in and a 4 inch tip like a fast and furious ricer LOL. Its decently mellow no drone and would pass any decibel measurements. Squeezing a cat between the driveshaft and floor board will be tough even with just a 2.5 exhaust pipe my cherry bomb is just big enough no interference. Did these cars even have a cat as a 1g early 90s? You only should have to pass emissions for the year of manufacture right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back