The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Evo LSD in 2g pumpkin with open diff swap, axle compatibility?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talyn

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So I'm currently having an EVO 8 clutch/plate LSD installed into my previously open diff pumpkin. I got my information about the swap from this thread here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/evo-rear-lsd-in-a-1g-2g-housing.467544/

According to the thread, the non LSD 2g axles I already have should work. However on TMZ's site they recommend Evo 8/9 axle cups. And I spoke to them on the phone today about ordering a shim kit and axle seals, and he mentioned that the 2g non LSD axles are really close, but not quite the same length as Evo cups, and as a result the circlip won't lock them into place, which is exactly what the writeup on it warns about happening with the incorrect axles, however that writeup says that my axles will work. I don't want to take any chances, but I don't want to spend money on parts I already have either. Can anybody confirm who is correct? And or have a set of non LSD 2g and LSD Evo axle cups on hand they could measure? The guy at TMZ seemed pretty damn knowledgeable and I'm hesitant to doubt him, but it seems like kchaazz knew his stuff too. I'd rather error on the side of caution, but maybe somebody can verify things for me.

Like I said on the phone, the Evo rear axle cups have a slightly longer stub length that properly engages and locks the circlips in to the pinion gears. The DSM Non-LSD axles are near the same length, but they are shorter; if I recall, they were around 3/8" or so shorter than the Evo axle stub length that engages the differential. I ran 2G Non-LSD axle cups in one for about a season of racing; I have a picture below of what they looked like, and you will be able to see the engagement difference I am talking about. It ended stripping the splines out of my axles which were DSS Stage 5's with 2G DSM non-LSD cups. It's pretty obvious the engagement area difference i'm talking about.

Go and get the ones on Ebay I told you about that were ridiculously cheap before they are all gone. Your other option are custom DSS stage 5 axles with Evo pro series 300m 6-ball CV inner cups; which are not cheap whatsoever.

Attachments

• axle cups.jpg
    axle cups.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 458
I found brand new Evo 2/3 rear inner axle cups at a British website for ~800$ us shipped came with the tripod and everything, but that's a lot of dough.
Like a few others here on tuners I bought a set of used Evo 1/2/3 inner axle cups of ebay from Thailand. $57.99 US shipped for a pair and I had them in my hands like 4 days later.
My dif is at TRE getting the Evo 8 conversion so I haven't tried them out yet, but for that price you can't go wrong. Thought I got the last pair, but the auction still says 1 pair left.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi...ash=item41a4025246:g:klcAAOSwXGtZnpx6&vxp=mtr

edit: maybe I should buy out their stock and start reselling them?

They post up the axle cups from time to time lately for about that price; but they are only going to become more difficult to find as time goes by. For that cheap i'd pick up an extra set.

Like I said on the phone, the Evo rear axle cups have a slightly longer stub length that properly engages and locks the circlips in to the pinion gears. The DSM Non-LSD axles are near the same length, but they are shorter; if I recall, they were around 3/8" or so shorter than the Evo axle stub length that engages the differential. I ran 2G Non-LSD axle cups in one for about a season of racing; I have a picture below of what they looked like, and you will be able to see the engagement difference I am talking about. It ended stripping the splines out of my axles which were DSS Stage 5's with 2G DSM non-LSD cups. It's pretty obvious the engagement area difference i'm talking about.

Go and get the ones on Ebay I told you about that were ridiculously cheap before they are all gone. Your other option are custom DSS stage 5 axles with Evo pro series 300m 6-ball CV inner cups; which are not cheap whatsoever.

Tim,
I'm not sure I've been able to find a clear answer to this one, but could I install my Evo III inner cups onto my Non-LSD axles? Or do I need to source LSD axles to use the Evo III inner cups?

There's a pair of cups on eBay for like $65 right now if anyone needs them..

Yeah I mentioned those to him as well, by phone has well in this thread I think. Like Malaysia I think on eBay as cd9a ce9a evo axle cups

Bleh, I can't find any damn axle cups-and the ones you linked were actually already out of stock when I tried to get them sadly...And my diff is done now too =/

Tim, take a look at my EVO3 axle from Malaysia vs. non-LSD cup from my Summit (which I am assuming the same as DSM non-LSD cup). They are identical (with regard to differential interface).

And... they look longer than your damaged axle! Are you sure that you used non-LSD cup?

Attachments

• 85A15291-1BBB-44C4-96C5-99FAB1D13997.jpeg
    85A15291-1BBB-44C4-96C5-99FAB1D13997.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 9EC15F83-832E-409E-BD2F-9C1080FAC317.jpeg
    9EC15F83-832E-409E-BD2F-9C1080FAC317.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 264
Here is another perplexing find...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-non-lsd-rear-axles.480375/

An ad for non-LSD 2G axles, do you notice that happen to be different? Aren't they supposed to be same? Anyway, scaling off the photo, looks like Tim had the shorter version and the longer version is the same as EVO3 and my non-LSD cups!

Edit: here is another set!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/dsm-parts-axles-2g-maf-t25-and-more.490228/
And another:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-heavy-duty-rear-axles-nonlsd.496009/

And finally:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/identifying-inner-cv-joints-2g-rear-axles.488886/

Clearly, (at least some) 2G non-LSD rear end uses two different sizes of axle cups and you shouldn't use the shorter one with EVO rear end.

Last edited:
I didn't realize you had a measurement in that picture, which axle was that though? I measured mine at ~57.5mm. So, likely same as yours given a little room for error. I did notice from your picture that while the shaft section appears to be the same length it looks as though the actual splined part on one axle might be a little bit shorter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back