The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1g & 2g M/T Rear Diff & Axle Compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 4ce

Probationary Member
May 8, 2018
San Diego, California
First of all, I am doing a total one-off build on a '74 Colt/Galant. So, the entire drivetrain will need to be custom built for an AWD 4G63 setup. Ideally, I'd like a B1H with 4-bolt rear axles (for obvious strength reasons), to maintain the ~6inch narrower track width of the 1g (the Colt/Galant is a very small car). Complete B1H Rear Drivetrain Assys are impossible to come by down here in San Diego, mainly because of lack of available B1H pumpkins. However, I have seen 2g BFH Rear Diffs pop up from time to time. So, in attempting to think outside of the box, I am wondering if a solution would be to used the 2g BFH Rear Diff with 1g 4-bolt Rear Axles. So now the actual question... Does anyone know if 1g 4-bolt Rear Axles properly interface with a 2g BFH Rear Diff (i.e. splines, seals, etc.)?

You would probably want to use 2g inner cups with the 1g axles, if I remember right, but I might be thinking of a lsd vs non lsd.

Hmmm... I was hoping that rear 1g axles would be compatible with 2g rear diffs the same way front 1g axles are compatible with 2g tranys, without having to mix driveshaft sections. Hoping a Wiseman can share some knowledge.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back