The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

evo 8 or 1g timing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Put an evo 8 ecu in my gvr4. I need to redo my ignition timing but im trying to figure out the best way. I cant go back to my 1g ecu anymore so im stuck trying with this one.

Basically should I just put it to 5 btdc? Also since the firing order is opposite id use the number four plug wire as number since the wires are swapped? And the curb idle plug is no use now because the evo 8 doesnt recognize it?

Any ideas on this guys?

Yea but I can adjust timing via ecuflash

Should I maybe look up the 1g timing map and copy it over to the evo 8 ecu?

Just build a map to suit the cars needs.

But the 1g map is really aggressive... Either way in the end nothing is going to "just work" it will need to be adjusted to what the car will get away with or it wants.

Why not start with a 2 g timing map and work from there...kinda middle ground. 1 f is too aggressive and the EVO map falls off quickly. The 2 g is a happy medium in the timing dept

Yea, I know the timing map will need to be adjusted based off what works well with the car.

I guess what I really need to know is the base timing?

Go into evoscan and hit the actuator for base timing. This is just like grounding the timing connector with the stock ecu. Set the CAS so its at 5* just like you normally would. Then go dial your Hi Octane Advance table.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back