1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

evo 8 or 1g timing?

Posted by bcjjones, Aug 1, 2013

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Put an evo 8 ecu in my gvr4. I need to redo my ignition timing but im trying to figure out the best way. I cant go back to my 1g ecu anymore so im stuck trying with this one.

Basically should I just put it to 5 btdc? Also since the firing order is opposite id use the number four plug wire as number since the wires are swapped? And the curb idle plug is no use now because the evo 8 doesnt recognize it?

Any ideas on this guys?

2. gsxeclipse97

gsxeclipse97 Proven Member

Joined Nov 7, 2004
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Well it really depends one what the compression ratio is of the pistons.. The evo runs much less timing that a 1g, so I would use that as an indicators

499  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Yea but I can adjust timing via ecuflash

Should I maybe look up the 1g timing map and copy it over to the evo 8 ecu?

4. MY1GDSM

MY1GDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 26, 2007
    On the beach, Washington
    Just build a map to suit the cars needs.

But the 1g map is really aggressive... Either way in the end nothing is going to "just work" it will need to be adjusted to what the car will get away with or it wants.

1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. hotrodssnova

hotrodssnova Proven Member

Joined Feb 14, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Why not start with a 2 g timing map and work from there...kinda middle ground. 1 f is too aggressive and the EVO map falls off quickly. The 2 g is a happy medium in the timing dept

Street Build 643  0

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    automatic · 1G DSM
  6. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Yea, I know the timing map will need to be adjusted based off what works well with the car.

I guess what I really need to know is the base timing?

7. H82lose91

H82lose91 Proven Member

Joined Jul 30, 2002
    BFE, Virginia
    Go into evoscan and hit the actuator for base timing. This is just like grounding the timing connector with the stock ecu. Set the CAS so its at 5* just like you normally would. Then go dial your Hi Octane Advance table.

594  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.750 @ 118.300 · 1G DSM