The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Everything rebuilt no compression

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Ok guys i really do not understand what is going on. I have rebuilt the Head, the piston rings has been changed and cylinders honed. My car will not start due to compression. I have fuel and spark, and still nothing. Now the dowel pins face up on the cam gears, the timing marks on the cam gears face each other, the crank timing mark is about 10-11 o' clock(its a 95), and the same for the oil pump timing mark. My timing is dead on. I also poured oil down the spark plug holes to try and raise the compression, took the spark plugs out and turned it over a few times to let the oil seal against the rings. I tried firing the car and still nothing happens. it just spits white smoke. I also read that if the lifters were'nt bled then they can cause the valves to hang open causing a loss of compression. But i bled them. What could be going on guys, also the head was at a machine shop before i installed it so it should be good to go. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!

Need to recheck your timing. The dowels for the cams should both be straight up on #1 TDC

Need to recheck your timing. The dowels for the cams should both be straight up on #1 TDC

quick question about this. If all the timing marks and dowells line is there a reason #1 has to be tdc when starting? Reason I ask is all my timing marks line up but the dowels are at 3 o clock when I received it. Does that make any difference?

quick question about this. If all the timing marks and dowells line is there a reason #1 has to be tdc when starting? Reason I ask is all my timing marks line up but the dowels are at 3 o clock when I received it. Does that make any difference?

wait.. the dowels are at 3 o'clock when when you line the timing at TDC? Please rephrase that..
Quick question, when you remachined, were the pistons snug in the cylinder? Are your pistons at standard bore, or did they overbore it for any reason??

Did you put the plugs back in after you put a little bit of oil in the spark plug hole and then try to turn it on?

wait.. the dowels are at 3 o'clock when when you line the timing at TDC? Please rephrase that..
Quick question, when you remachined, were the pistons snug in the cylinder? Are your pistons at standard bore, or did they overbore it for any reason??

no, I believe when the motor was put together after having everything checked (timing mark wise) it was left at the 3 o clock position. An additonal quarter turn was done. Would that cause any problems?

As long as you did the initial break in procedure; IE: cycling the oil through out the engine before starting, proper piston size, timing at TDC ( both dowel pins at 12 o'clock, oil pump, crank, balance shafts at marks) then you should be fine. These things have to be timed to the tooth though, or they won't run right, or they'll bend valves.. plus everything has to be at TDC to make sure everything is lined up, and nothing hits

So you're saying the timing marks were all lined up perfect then the motor was turned 90 degrees to make them at the 3 o'clock position? If so, that shouldnt matter.. Did you remember to bleed the lifters? If you didnt bleed them, the valves would never completly close and you could have zero compression..hope this helps

Did you put the plugs back in after you put a little bit of oil in the spark plug hole and then try to turn it on?

Yes i tried that. but i keep soaking my plugs with the oil. so i let it burn off and kept trying and still nothing has pevailed. But it does act like it wants to start. Lifters were bled.

Are you sure it has no compression? Or are you assuming by process of elimination since you have spark and fuel and its not starting? Actually did a compression test and got zero across the board?

Have you checked your firing order?

Are you sure it has no compression? Or are you assuming by process of elimination since you have spark and fuel and its not starting? Actually did a compression test and got zero across the board?

Have you checked your firing order?

These are my compression numbers....65, 50, 50, 50 from 4 to 1.
i have a 1g green top cas and my firing order is 1432, with the injectors inverted at the ecu.

Firing order on the coil is 4123 And on the valve cover from left to right is 4321

That's awfully low.. Compression is affected mainly by a couple things:

- Headgasket
- Piston rings
- Valves
- Timing

It has nowhere else to go other than those four. Low, even numbers like that across the board lead me to think its not the headgasket or piston rings. Valves are controlled by the mechanical timing, so if all your timing marks are lined up, you can eliminate that as well. You might have slightly bent valves...

Did you use a new head gasket? and did you torque it down correctly?

I would do a leakdown test, it will give you a better idea of what and where your problem is.
Yes im using a new headgasket..Its a felpro gasket.
That's awfully low.. Compression is affected mainly by a couple things:

- Headgasket
- Piston rings
- Valves
- Timing

It has nowhere else to go other than those four. Low, even numbers like that across the board lead me to think its not the headgasket or piston rings. Valves are controlled by the mechanical timing, so if all your timing marks are lined up, you can eliminate that as well. You might have slightly bent valves...
Im going to check 1 more thing and make sure..but my rings are new valves are not bent, headgasket is new and timing is dead on.
Firing order on the coil is 4123 And on the valve cover from left to right is 4321

I have a 1g cas so my firing order changes.

How would i do a leak down test. I just checked the torque on my head bolts and im well beyond 90. like 135 on all 10. I dont have nothing else to check im super stumped.

to do a leak down test you have to have the cylinder your testing at TDC then use the compression tester attachment to force air into the cylinder then listen to different parts of the car to figure out where you are losing the compression at, this video is a good example and its on a DSM

‪Engine coolant system and compression testing‬‏ - YouTube

the Leak Down test starts at about 7 mins

Leak Down Test :|
LOL. My bad man. I've never done one.
to do a leak down test you have to have the cylinder your testing at TDC then use the compression tester attachment to force air into the cylinder then listen to different parts of the car to figure out where you are losing the compression at, this video is a good example and its on a DSM

‪Engine coolant system and compression testing‬‏ - YouTube

the Leak Down test starts at about 7 mins

I dont have a air compressor. Not even a bycicle pump. what can i use and get the same results?

you could always just get a friend to blow into the hose! just joking. there really isn't anything that i know of that would be as good as a leak down test. you could always just put your hand over the radiator and oil filler and have someone crank it, i know it works on running vehicles as a rough diagnosis never tried it on one that won't start tho. good luck sorry i wasn't more help

you could always just get a friend to blow into the hose! just joking. there really isn't anything that i know of that would be as good as a leak down test. you could always just put your hand over the radiator and oil filler and have someone crank it, i know it works on running vehicles as a rough diagnosis never tried it on one that won't start tho. good luck sorry i wasn't more help

Its cool man this car has beat the hell out of me

Update guys...I stated taking the lifters out today to bleed them. But before i did i started rotating the crank and just listened. i left the spark plugs in. When the pistons are on their compression stroke i can hear the air escaping..None of the valves are bent. i pressed the lifters and they are pretty tight, cant even compress them by hand. SO...im going to bleed them and then install everything and rotate the crank again with the spark plugs in to see if i can hear and feel a difference. When my car had good compression it was hard as hell to turn with the spark plugs in, now its jus like cake almost it has some tension but no where near when it was cranking. I think my vavles were slightly open like just a hair.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back